Do you have to tell Soc Sec you moved if on SSID?

ezbtr

Commander
I would think not, all my checks are direct deposit, any comments would be great :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ask when you call them about moving under the Texas plan as you asked a couple of weeks ago.

ezbtr

Commander
I tried, no answer that day, already got on Blue Cross

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
YES.

Page 13 of the link.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10153.pdf

If you move When you plan to move, tell us your new address and phone number as soon as you know them. Also please let us know the names of any family members who are getting benefits and are moving with you. Even if you receive your benefits by direct deposit, we must have your correct address so we can send letters and other important information to you. Your benefits will be stopped if we are unable to contact you. You can change your address at our website, www.socialsecurity.gov/changeaddress.html. Be sure you also file a change of address with your post office.

foodfisher

Captain
Something is telling me that your benefits will vary according to the cost of living at your new address.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Yes, you have to keep them up to date on your address as well as current phone number, or they will suspend benefits until you do.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Something is telling me that your benefits will vary according to the cost of living at your new address.

No, they won't. Benefits are calculated solely on an individual's earnings history and FICA contributions.

My .02

ezbtr

Commander
took forever, you have to play w/ their phone system, get lucky if you get the call back option, talked to a human, no change to my bennies :)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I would think not, all my checks are direct deposit, any comments would be great :)

You can change your physical address, your mailing address, your phone number and your (deposit) bank account/routing number online. They'll send confirmation letters to both the new and old addresses.

They do want your mailing and physical addresses but I don't know if they'll do anything as long as your mailing address is correct and you respond to mailings.

If something happens (like you die and you don't notify them) they'll eventually send someone out to your on-file physical address. If it's a vacant lot, someone might be guilty of defrauding the Federal Govt (with Federal Charges ensuing) there will also probably be a sucking sound of the money coming out of the deposit account.

Cheers,

Rick