1988 johnson 70 vro gear leaver stuck

Alexanderwarner

Recruit
Hallo I'm from Danmark and need some help with my outboard engine. I have disasampeld the lower unit and have removed every thing on the lower unit and pinion gear. The last thing I nee to do is to remove the prop shaft and the last gear I think it is forward gear. My problem lies in thant the propshaft won't fall out of its own. And I'm afraid to jank the propshaft out if it damaged something. Because I don know if is okay to pull it out if it is stuck in gear

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I assume that you have removed the vertical shift rod.... did you push it all the way down before you removed it, if not, do so, then remove it. The prop shaft comes out assembled with the forward gear and the shifter assembly... just start yanking on it... it'll come out.

NOTE: When assembling the unit, be advised that the height of the shift rod must be adjusted in neutral to a specific measurement from the top surface of the gearcase to the center of the shift rod hole. Otherwise, it will be impossible to adjust the shift setting.

70hp = (L) 21-23/32" plus/minus 1/32" Have shift rod in neutral and offset to the port side.

Last edited:

Alexanderwarner

Recruit
Thank you Very Much for your feedback. The problem is that I can't push the vertical shift rod up or down. Can i jank the propshaft out with with the shift rod stuck I neutral ?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Quite strange that you can't push the shifter mechanism down. Perhaps it is already down. Of course the vertical shift rod, I assume, has been removed.

The forward portion that will be removed is the shift mechanism that resembles the older type engine "Oil Pump" and it is a rather snug fit. Now,even if what the shift rod screws into is all the way up, the prop-shaft and everything else should come out a short distance.

Have you been yanking on the propshaft... any movement... stuck solidly... what? The thing is that without the pinion gear, reverse gear, and everything else removed, there is nothing left to jam that shifting mechanism UNLESS the gearcase was full of water, and now rust galore.

Alexanderwarner

Recruit
The propshaft is loose and can turn around and I can push it back and forth about a half inch. It feels like there is something stopping it at the same spot. So I think the gear leavers is stuck in neutral or top gear. But my question is can I jank the propshaft out if the gearshaft not is down. ? I wave tryed to soak the lower unit in antirust stuff but it is still stuck. My concern is that the gesrleaver house was totally filled with dirt. And perhaps there is some debri stuck down there that I cant flush out with a powerwater washer. Have you any ideas ? I thought about cleaning it up at fill it up with motoroil to soak it a bit ?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Alex.... Having retired in 1991 but continuing on doing work for my friends... and their friends, I kept my hand in so to speak for many years afterwards. However, it has been quite a few years since I quit the manual labor portion altogether and failing to remember exactly where that shift rod had to be... I check the book (Service Manual).

Yeah, it has to be in the down position. I'd suggest that you place a hefty rod of some kind on top of that shifter assembly and force it down with a hammer. I assumed at first that you were simply dismantling a working lower unit for repairs BUT the description you mentioned in your last post (filled with dirt. And perhaps there is some debis stuck down there) brings forth another story

Alexanderwarner

Recruit
The stort behind my questions is That i bought a Fletcher arrow speedboat with the Johnson 1988 70 vro and was told that he thorght one of the gears in the lower unit diddent work. So I got the hole thing for a very good price. So I started to disasampel the lower unit and found out that there must have been a gasket leak. Because the whole thing was very rusten inside the gears and sticky dirt in the house of the gesrleaver. But the gears them selves seem to be in very good shape. But the gear leaver I stuck even thou I cleaned it up pretty good with a pressured washer and decreaser and rust loosner. So should I just try to force the gear leavers down with a hammer then ? I won' brake any thing in there then ?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
So should I just try to force the gear leavers down with a hammer then ? I won' brake any thing in there then ?

That's not something one would do in a normal situation BUT in your case, to make sure that lever is down when it should be, I don't see where you have any choice. Let me know how you make out.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey Joe Reeves and boobie ....
Just in case you haven't found it yet...

To get to your messages section (inbox, sent, compose new), hover your mouse over the avatar picture to the right of your name in the upper right corner. A menu pops down, then click "Your Messages"... That should bring you to your PM's..

It may not help with liking the new layout of the forum, but hope it helps you guys get to your messages anyway...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
boobie Joe Reeves

Wanna send a PM - Click the member's name on the left and Click the big, orange Contact Me box in the top right corner.

Really not much different than the old way.