Boy really need a thought or two.....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Been a few days the last couple of weeks have been hard, found out this morning my wife's Mom has pretty much lost her mind in Alzheimer's and is not doing real good, the other night her husband and her went out for dinner and she basically didn't know what was going on and when they got home, she became violent with her husband, she didn't remember who he was and she wanted to go "home", of course none of us know where "home" is, so we don't know what is going to occur over the next few weeks, she has been showing memory loss for the last few months, but now she seems to have tipped over an edge into a different dimension..

All I can say, this getting older sucks!

:crushed:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Dealing with Alzheimers and dementia is tough. I know from experience

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
wow, I wouldn't know where to begin in dealing with that. my grandfather went through it a bit but never violent etc. he just slowly began to forget people and things.
it was hard to see even that happen,

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family - yep, what a drag it is (sometimes) getting old

We are going through similar with in-laws. Other medical/physical problems cloud the issues here. Doc's are starting to talk to my m.i.l. about quality of life considerations regarding treatment of her husband's physical problems, I feel terrible for my wife, her parents, our kids, etc.

tpenfield

Staff member
Been there, done that . . . My mother developed Alzhiemer's at age 75, and it progressed over the remaining 9 years of her life. There seems to be a phase that is plagued by aggression and anger, mostly surrounding confusion. Fortunately, that did not last too long with my mother, and she was quite passive for the most part.

There would be plateaus, then sudden declines. My Dad was the main care-giver, and it took a lot out of him.

Still probably one of the most un-treatable diseases there is.

All I can say is that you are potentially in for a long haul. You have my empathy.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
We're going thru it my MIL who told us my wife's father had passed away. He was fine. Trouble was, we didn't know it at the time... We're going to get together with her bro and dad and try and come up with a plan....

robert graham

Admiral
We've experienced Alzhiemers and Parkinson's in MIL and brother in law....both really suck!.....The later years can get so damn cruel and expensive due to some of these ailments straight from Hades!....Just life, I guess!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This is one of the most difficult things for family members to deal with. You feel so helpless and worry takes the stuffing out of caregivers.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My dad just passed away last year at 88. He started going downhill fast with dementia when he was 80 and also exhibited some of the anger at first but that passed. He didn't even know who I was the last 5 years and didn't speak one word the last 3.

Fortunately, my mom was able to afford caregivers to help her so there were people there most of the day from 7:00AM to 9:00PM. It was wearing her out in the beginning.

Took a toll on my brother. He was already living part time at my mom's house and then stayed there 100% of the time once my dad passed. He died of a stroke a few months later at 53.

aspeck

Staff member
Just remember, MT, it is harder on the family than the one with the disease. In 5-10 minutes they will have moved on and the memories of what just happened will be gone. You (the family), on the other hand, will have to work at forgetting some of what just happened. Enjoy the moments you have because those moments will get fewer and fewer. Just spent the day with my mom. She can?t feed herself, walk, or talk. Today she did say one word ... when I asked if she was tired and should I leave so she could rest her eyes opened, she smiled, and very clearly said, ?OK.? And that was great ... I got a smile and a word out of her! I was happy.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Wow, Art....... Quite the day..... Glad you left with a smile..... :)