Help! I broke my wall!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I needed to replace a 1-gang GFCI outlet in the kitchen. My buddy and I got the new outlet, wired it up correctly and started to put it back into the outlet box. He was having difficulty so I helped... and pushed way too hard and crushed the drywall where the outlet box attached. :facepalm:

It's an "old work" aka "remodel" type of box. We've been trying to get this thing reinstalled for a couple days now, off and on.

I found some "Madison Hangers" and other such things which help prevent a box from pulling out. But so far, I haven't found anything which will prevent the box from pushing back into the wall. The green is the drywall.

A little help? :)

outlet.jpg

outlet2.jpg

outlet3.jpg

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would probably pick up some 1/4 luan and then cut some 1 1/2 wide strips to build a perimeter around the edge of the cut out and using wood glue, glue the strips in and secure them with blue tape while the glue drys. That will give you some backing to put the box in and then screw down the wings so they hold on the back side of the wall and will not allow the box to be pushed through.

What is behind that wall, I have also cut a 2 x 4 block in the past and glued it to the back wall and that will also prevent the box from being pushed in. Then put an over sized wall plate on it, to cover up the spot.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
that is an old-work box.

is there a stud near by? if so, I would be tempted to get a different box and screw to the stud, then simple drywall repair.

an oversized plate will take care of it.

aspeck

Staff member
I totally agree with what Scott said ... get the box screwed to a stud and repair wall as needed

tpenfield

Staff member
Not a big deal - happens all the time - there are a number of options. Remount the box as mentioned above, there are also surface mount boxes if you do not have a stud to screw into.

Fix up wall as needed with joint compound.

sangerwaker

Commander
If you have a stud nearby......screw a short piece of wood of appropriate thickness to the stud to end up flush with the left or right side of the box opening. Get an Arlington F101 from the home center of choice. You could also increase the box to a 2 gang and add another outlet if the nearest stud is a little further from the existing opening.

EDIT: Glad to see you are using P&S devices.... :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Here is good tip for drywall repair. If you are going to use any volume of drywall compound to fill a hole or large gap. mix in 25% Fixall powder into your powdered or pre-mix drywall compound. It will set up faster and not shrink. Just be sure that you apply it just below the surrounding surface. Once it has set you can skim it with plain drywall compound and easily sand it flush. The Fixall will set pretty quickly and by itself it is harder to work and difficult to sand.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
No stud nearby in the wall. And it's an exterior kitchen wall, full of pink fiberglass insulation. So no way to get to it from the other side.

I did some more research this afternoon and found this video. Decided to try a variation of that method. I fabricated up some 3/32 aluminum bar stock that I had on hand to fit inside the cover plate, both top and bottom. Drilled the holes and cut them to fit and made sure they are flush with the bottom surface of the cover plate. If they're not quite long enough, I'll probably buy a larger sized cover plate so that I can make longer supports.

This is what I fabbed up. Will attempt a fitting tomorrow in the daylight.

outlet4.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If I lived near ya I could install a new box and patch the wall and it would only cost ya one frosty beverage . :joyous:
Install some wood backing screw in new box . Patch with some quick set . Paint and done .. ;)

bigdee

Commander
No stud nearby in the wall. And it's an exterior kitchen wall, full of pink fiberglass insulation. So no way to get to it from the other side.

I did some more research this afternoon and found this video. Decided to try a variation of that method. I fabricated up some 3/32 aluminum bar stock that I had on hand to fit inside the cover plate, both top and bottom. Drilled the holes and cut them to fit and made sure they are flush with the bottom surface of the cover plate. If they're not quite long enough, I'll probably buy a larger sized cover plate so that I can make longer supports.

This is what I fabbed up. Will attempt a fitting tomorrow in the daylight.

That will work. Now just get an over size trim plate. For a little more support use a stainless steel or wood trim plate

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Done! Just finished. Thanks for all the help and suggestions! :)

Bought a "Jumbo" sized plate and used the aluminum stock I mentioned before. Had to make a couple new ones to match the over sized plate. And I also bought a couple of longer screws so that it was easier to pull things together. Once I had it all lined up, it went together easy as pie.

Didn't realize that the new plate was the wrong color. And I just don't care! LMAO! :laugh:

No mud, no woodwork, no lath, no luan, no sanding or painting. Whew!

If I'd had to paint around the new outlet, it would have been a big step down the slippery slope and I would have had to paint the whole house! :eek: :lol:

2.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 0