Made it to Austin/Round rock, TX!! Need A Truck - Advice :)

ezbtr

Commander
Either Ford or Chevy, 4x4 auto, crew or extra cab(room for 4-5), V8, used not older than 10 yrs, to haul pallets, and tow a boat soon :)

Last edited:

sam60

Captain
Either Ford or Chevy, 4x4 auto, crew or extra cab(room for 4-5), V8, used not older than 10 yrs

Or Dodge...yes to all. Cummins diesel is a straight 6.

Last edited:

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What's the actual question? In the last 10 years neither Ford or Chevy has even offered a manual transmission. Around here you can't hardly give away a 2wd truck but Texas may be different. I hate extended cabs, especially with the backward opening doors. A crew cab is so much more useful and the extra couple inches of truck length don't matter much.
I've been using Chevy trucks for many years in my electrical contracting business. I load them heavy and run them up mountains to off grid cabins. I have had very very little trouble with Chevy trucks. If I did have trouble I'd quit buying them; I don't put up with machines that don't work.
If you're thinking about a diesel truck steer clear of the Ford 6.0 and 6.4. The owner of another business I'm involved with has learned the hard way that they are problematic and expensive to repair.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
as a chevy owner who traded in a ford and also currently has a nissan titan diesel and who looked at a dodge last year let me say this.

which one do you like the looks of the best?
what will you use it for
crew cab not ext cab no question about it. park in a parking lot and try to put something in a backseat of clam shell doors it sucks
I have the 6.0 gas in my chevy had a 5.4 in my F150 and the V10 in my F350

The chevy rides smoother than the fords
my 2000 ford had better fit and finish than the 2013 chevy

honestly all trucks in the last ten years are very reliable and capable. only thing I would say is do not get the smallest engine available in any of them. If you aren't working the truck regularly don't bother with a diesel and realistically if you don't need 4x4 don't spend the extra money

in order to get lockout hubs you have to go 3/4 or 1 ton. auto hubs aren't bad though.

fords 5.4 eng is very reliable and a good performer
chevy 5.3 been around forever and a very nice engine

I buy the one that gives me the best deal at the end of the day.

southkogs

Staff member
Don't know that I'd shy away from any of the big three - I've owned Ford and Dodge (5.4l and 5.7l respectively) and liked them both. I had a Suburban years ago that I liked a lot too.

Friend of mine just got the Titan with the Cummins - it's no slouch from what I can tell, but I'm kinda' stuck in Detroit Iron :)

ezbtr

Commander
Made the TX move from N. CA, need truck :)

Staying in hotel til escrow closes (30 ish days) and thinking used Ford or Chevy 2 wheel drive, V8, locking differential, I like the Ford 5.0, Chevy 5.3 pretty good too (Have 4.6 2006 Mustang) , will use it to haul some wood pallets, and prob tow a 17' boat, any hints/preferences?

aspeck

Staff member
A Chevy ... didn't we go through this just a couple weeks ago?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I hate it when you do that, confuses the hell out of me!

:eek:

The combining or the title change? :rolleyes:

From this : Made it to Austin/Round rock, TX!! Need A 4X4 - Advice :)
To this: Made it to Austin/Round rock, TX!! Need A Truck - Advice :)

ezbtr

Commander
Sorry guys, has been insane just selling house and getting here, super busy, sorry for any reposts ;)

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
Staying in hotel til escrow closes (30 ish days) and thinking used Ford or Chevy 2 wheel drive, V8, locking differential, I like the Ford 5.0, Chevy 5.3 pretty good too (Have 4.6 2006 Mustang) , will use it to haul some wood pallets, and prob tow a 17' boat, any hints/preferences?

well I had a ford with the 5.4 in it, was a solid truck, great performer for hauling and towing.

chevy 5.3 been around a while and has a great reputation.

the ford 4.6 in a truck is absolutely nothing like the Mustang performance wise. it is the same engine just gutless in a truck
I haven't driven the ford truck with a 5.0 but if I was choosing between that or a chev 5.3 I would go with the chev.

if it was 5.4 versus 5.3 I might lean towards the ford, as I liked the fit and finish of ford better and the 5.4 has a lot of power.

make sure you get a decent gear ratio if you plan to tow. on the Ford you want 3.55 chev I think you can get the 3.73 in the half ton

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I have a 1995 F-150 with the 5.0L V8 and it really lacks low end torque. Get it above 2500 RPM and it does okay but it really isn't an ideal tow vehicle. The 5.4L would be a better choice.

But mine is purty! :lol:

2.jpg

1.jpg

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
that is definitely a very pretty truck.

interesting color, I don't remember seeing that before.

ezbtr

Commander
super nice truck! I really dont need a newish one for 20K, just reliable, good puller, etc :)