Browning vs Beretta opinions?

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
so I have started to think about buying a nice O/U this season.

right now the selection is either Browning Cynergy or Beretta Silver Pigeon. both come up nice, and feel comfortable
I have owned a browning auto prev and currently own a Beretta auto so no brand loyalty per se'

I was surprised to find Browning is made in Japan but they still carry their quality.

I thought about the BT99 Browning as I will be using this gun for trap league but would like something I can also take to the field for hunting and maybe go into skeet shooting as well (doubles)

anyone have real exp with either?
any opinions for or against either?

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Actually there are many good quality guns that are manufactured in Japan, there is a company over there that is very meticulous in their manufacturing of guns and parts, I know Winchester has used them for many of their classic guns, the Winchester 94 has been manufactured in Japan.

Now, I have shot both of those guns and either one would be good for what you are saying you want to do with it. When talking shotguns, which it really comes down to is how it balances in your hands, especially for trap.

Last edited:

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
Kind of what I was thinking. pretty much going to come down to price and actual availability. the Beretta is available locally the Browning I have held in 20 ga but not 12. would have to order it and have it shipped to the shop. not the end of the world.

the Browning is actually 300 dollars less expensive so that is a consideration.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
well the Silver Pigeon won. Did look at a Citori, never did find a Cynergy in 12 ga and the Pigeon seemed to come up to my shoulder very nicely.
Already having the Beretta auto probable helped there.

very happy with it so far. LOL can't wait to get it out shooting.

only 2 minor issues I didn't like.
first the hardshell case that comes with it, I was hoping for a usable case not a hard plastic thing that it will never go into again. LOL

second it comes with 5 chokes. read carefully that is 5 chokes, not 5 pair of chokes. no biggie ordered a couple more from Beretta but I would rather have them give me one pair rather than 5 singles.

aspeck

Staff member
I came late to the party, but think you made the right choice with what you had available. Beretta must be thinking that you would not want both barrels the same choke at any given time, or the 5 different chokes let's you test which works best for your situation and then you can go from there with additional purchases.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
kind of what I was thinking as well, it is nice that you get all 5.
ordering the couple that I wanted wasn't too expensive.