Hurricane Irma

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
looks like the caribbean is getting hit. predicted to have Irma take a right turn after hitting Cuba and come right up the middle of the FL penninusla

will be working from home on the 8th

https://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/TC.html

al112017.17090412.gif

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Pick a path. This spaghetti tracking map is an hour old. Florida is going to be hit with this one unless something develops to steer it. 3 days ago a Carolina hit was said to be certain, now it's anyone's guess.

al112017.png

tpenfield

Staff member
My SIL just moved to Florida (Palm Beach Area) . . . this must be the welcome wagon :facepalm:

Florida may end up looking like Texas in a week or so. :eek:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
one of those paths goes directly over the house, 4 go just to the east a few miles. pretty sure we will be without electricity for a bit

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
yeah my dad still lives down there, never been able to get him to prepare for these things in a true fashion.

southkogs

Staff member
Looks like it's gonna' pack a whollop - Scott, do you typically ride these out? Or do ya' get outta' dodge for a few days?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
And where do we run? I just made a $350 motel reservation for Sun - Tues nights a few miles from home.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Gas stations are packed. Walmart had no bottled water left.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Just got home from HD where I bought 4 sheets of 5/8" BCX sanded plywood. They had plenty of plywood and OSD in stock but it was really flying out the door. And I forgot to get screws. D'oh! :facepalm: :rolleyes: :lol:

I'll use the BCX later on for my Chieftain project if I don't need it for hurricane protection.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Looks like it's gonna' pack a whollop - Scott, do you typically ride these out? Or do ya' get outta' dodge for a few days?

typically we fire up the blender and have a party because the greater Tampa area doesnt get hit

GA_Boater

typically we fire up the blender and have a party because the greater Tampa area doesnt get hit

Better pack up the blender and head out of town if you can. Don't get in the way of the fleeing tourists from the Keys

RGrew176

Commander
Based on the current conditions of the hurricane I find it difficult that anyone who is going to be impacted by this storm wants to stay in place. Maybe I am a big chicken but I would he headed for the hills. If I had a boat in the predicted area to be affected I would be onboard headed west out of harms way.

southkogs

Staff member
And where do we run?
I guess that's kinda' why I asked ... when I'm down that way or to the coast, I'll see hurricane evacuation signs but not that many people seem to evacuate. Strike zone for Irma is not only shifting, but that girl has a big footprint!

You and Jim Cantore just hanging out and watching the storm ;) Dunno' if I've got the stuffin' to sit and surf out a full blown hurricane. :eek:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I guess that's kinda' why I asked ... when I'm down that way or to the coast, I'll see hurricane evacuation signs but not that many people seem to evacuate. Strike zone for Irma is not only shifting, but that girl has a big footprint!...
I went through Charley, Frances and Jeanne back in 2004. Made me pay attention to wassup with hurricanes! :lol:

Yeah, when I posted this morning, the track consensus was that Irma was going to head straight up the middle of the state, then keep right on going north into Georgia, etc. Makes it hard to find a place to hide. :rolleyes:

So at this time, our family has planned for three options, depending on where and if Irma makes landfall. There is no flooding potential at all where we live.
  1. If the storm goes up along the eastern side of the state, we'll just sit tight here at home.
  2. If it goes up the middle of the state, we'll evacuate to the local motel where I made reservations this morning. The motel is tucked into the side of a hill with protection on 3 sides. And it's protected by larger hills all around. It's a well constructed concrete structure. Should be safe from everything except a direct hit.
  3. If the storm looks like it will hit us directly, we're outta here and heading to northern Georgia!
Even so, we're keeping a weather eye out on everything! :joyous:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If it takes the same path as Mathew I think we will get out of here . As long as the storm surge is minimal for the north end of the state we will stay put . Wind I'm not too worried about ...It's gunna be like a Chinese fire drill all week at the building we are working on this week . The contractor is in panic mode ... :eek:

GA_Boater

BWR - You may be safer in Houston than here in north Georgia with me. It looks like Irma is headed my way too and who knows how much power she'll still have.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Just tried to get gas for the admirals beetle.....4 gas stations before we found one with gas

Plan is currently to finish the check list. Kayaks and fishing boat will be moved closer to the house, mooring cover on the boat will get strapped down.

If Irma is headed this way, we are all jumping in the truck and headed north

GA_Boater

Just tried to get gas for the admirals beetle.....4 gas stations before we found one with gas

Plan is currently to finish the check list. Kayaks and fishing boat will be moved closer to the house, mooring cover on the boat will get strapped down.

If Irma is headed this way, we are all jumping in the truck and headed north

Good plan. You don't want your survivors cashing in your life insurance.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Wish you over there the best over there; t have your own problems;just add us in your prayers. I read in this thread about evacuate; they tried it in Houston several years ago.(Contraflow. They thought about it here; but didn't). Trying to move 6 1/2 million people would have been a %#@&$%.. Prayers to you all over there..