Nascar Triple Header - Cup, X-Men & Trucks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We have all 3 running at Bristol this week, starting tomorrow, Wednesday with the Truck race, skip a day, an X-Thursday race and Cup on Saturday night. Throw in a Whelan Modified Tour race and we have the proverbial 5 pound bag at the 2nd shortest track on the schedule. I love Bristol, but too much is too much.

Weather may be an issue, with Thursday and Friday having some high rain probabilities. Cup has 41 entries, so we will have some real qualifying.

bristol2017.PNG

News and Notes
  • The best thing about Michigan is Nascar starting a rumor that more cars would be taken to the R&D center for teardown. Apparently the Toyota teams (Gibbs/Front Row) took the rumor as true and the #2 and #22 Fords ended up on the front row. In the end only the normal quota, winning car and one other. Autoweek has the story - http://autoweek.com/article/formula...r&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awracingdaily
  • Kurt Busch and Haas are both talking about Busch returning to the #41. Guess it's all about sponsors for the team.
  • Martin Truex Jr. can clinch a spot in the playoffs, excuse me, the regular season championship. If he has a 121 point lead over 2nd place he is the 1st of 2 champions crowned this year. Homestead results determine the playoff champ. What a mess!
  • 2 races left in the regular season. Right now Elliott, McMurry and Kenseth are in on points. Joey Logano has a win that doesn't count and is outside the 16 car window along with Bowyer.
  • Will rumors that 2 new manufacturers joining Nascar bear fruit? One is Dodge, even after Sergio said it wouldn't happen. One of his objections was using a 4 door Charger and he wanted a 2 door race car. With Chevy switching to Camaros, could a Dodge Challenger be in the mix? Engine development is the problem for Dodge, but with Trucks looking at spec engines, could Cup be right behind? Remember that dreaded stage racing was tested in Trucks last year and massaged for all 3 series this year. But would a car maker want to use a small block Chevy in a Ford, Toyota, Dodge or some other car?
  • TV Ratings - Michigan drew a 1.9, while last year against the Olympics was 2.1. 2015/14 was 2.6 and 3.22. What a difference a couple of years and untold rule changes make.

iBoats Fantasy Live
Got another multi-race winner at Michigan. FloridaFishingNetwork picked up his second victory - He won at Kansas in the 11th race. Congrats, FFN. slurpee11.pngTB2448 is leading the overall results with Florida FishingNetwork only 50 points behind.

Remember to tweak your roster by Race time on Saturday night.

Humpty_Boater, Esq.
Higher ratings than Monster - No Phantom Debris Cautions[SUP]TM[/SUP]

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't think they would have any trouble finding somebody that could spec the Dodge Hemi motor out to match Nascar rules.

GA_Boater

As far as I know only Chevy and Dodge have push rod production motors. Ford and Toyota only have OHC which are out with the current rules, but we know how that changes.

After a 2 hour rain delay, the Truck race is almost ready to go,

GA_Boater

The Twerp wins H1, H2 and the Main. :blue: Crafton finished 2nd.

GA_Boater

Keso is closing his 2 team Truck operation at the end of this season. He's had Truck teams since 2008.

GA_Boater

From yesterday;

78crew.PNG

This was a Gibbs plan to get The Twerp a win and it worked. Conspiracy theory! LOL

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Joe Gibb's simply did not like the press he was getting, Stevens is a good crew chief who acted stupid and was not punished, but the major contender in the race for the chase had penalties assessed against his team for doing his job. I would have loved to been a fly on the wall during those conversations!

GA_Boater

Gibbs deserved all the bad press he got, especially for not doing something to Stevens. Wonder what the chances of the 78 and 18 coming together at Bristol? :rolleyes:

Cup qualifying just finished and The Twerp isn't on the pole. In fact he didn't make it out of the 2nd round and is starting 18th.

The pole went to Erik Jones followed by Larson, Kahne, Elliott, Kenseth, Truex, Hamlin, Logano, Bowyer, Blaney, McMurray and Suarez,

X-Men are on the track.

GA_Boater

Not much to say about the X-Race. The Twerp took all 3 heats.

Elliott was the highest placing X-Reg in 3rd and only 5 X-Regs were in the top 10.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Not much to say about the X-Race. The Twerp took all 3 heats.

Elliott was the highest placing X-Reg in 3rd and only 5 X-Regs were in the top 10.

I agree, for being a Bristol race, it was actually pretty boring, the boys were playing pretty good tonight, although, I think Gaughan might be looking for a little pay back next weekend!

:lol:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
[*]TV Ratings - Michigan drew a 1.9, while last year against the Olympics was 2.1. 2015/14 was 2.6 and 3.22. What a difference a couple of years and untold rule changes make.

Humpty_Boater, Esq.
Higher ratings than Monster - No Phantom Debris Cautions[SUP]TM[/SUP]

That's amazing. How much lower can it go b/4 they pull the pin? At least at MI....... Tough to get a major sponsor with those ratings....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That's amazing. How much lower can it go b/4 they pull the pin? At least at MI....... Tough to get a major sponsor with those ratings....

Well if you are to listen to Harvick, it is all Dale JR's fault !

GA_Boater

Well if you are to listen to Harvick, it is all Dale JR's fault !

I knew it! :wink:

I guess Nascar is dead after Homestead unless Jeffery can kick it up a notch because only the Earnhardt name can keep it off life support.

Cole Whitt's crew chief must have had a rabbit's foot and 4 leaf clover in his pocket.

Frank Kerr, who calls the shots for the #72 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series entry for Tristar Motorsports, was transported to a local hospital earlier today after the car fell on him.
Kerr was briefly trapped under the car and suffered a fractured sternum and possible broken ribs, one of the crew said. Because of space limitations there is no formal garage area at Bristol Motor Speedway, so teams work on their cars behind the haulers or on pit road. Kerr was going underneath the car as a crew member was attempting to place a jack stand underneath it but the car began to roll and the jack buckled.
Despite his injuries, Kerr, who is from NASCACR's old school, is planning on being at the track Saturday to call the shots for Cole Whitt.

Kahne is starting at the back after qualifying in 3rd place. He had to change a qualifying tire and a car has to start the race on tires used for Q-ing.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Dang! It wasn't his time to meet his maker..........

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Dang! It wasn't his time to meet his maker..........

Thank god it wasn't, that is the one thing that scares the heck out of me when I am under a truck or a car, so I am overly cautious with my stands and blocks!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Even when I have 4 corners with 6 ton stands, I still get the willys when I crawl underneath......

GA_Boater

Junior needed 2 IV bags after last night's X-race and he ran 299 laps. Tonight is 500 laps, wonder how many bags after this race. It wasn't really hot, either. I hope he is not ill since the success of Nascar is on his shoulders.

Pre-race ceremonies are underway on NBC. 7:48 is the scheduled start time.