How much is too much?

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Thanks for the replies! I can give more info. It's a small company; two employees; two phones lines constantly ringing. All phone calls are recorded; have cameras with sound everywhere; She makes $13.50 per hour; with no benefits. Her boss might or might not show up at work; (can turn on his home computerand hear and see everything.)

Red Flag ? Where in the USA can you work More than full time for a company/person without being offered benefits ,not just paid for by them . Run as you might find out later their not paying their half of SS and probably deducting and keeping hers. Labor Laws .

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Red Flag ? Where in the USA can you work More than full time for a company/person without being offered benefits ,not just paid for by them . Run as you might find out later their not paying their half of SS and probably deducting and keeping hers. Labor Laws .
If you have less than 50 employees, you don't have to offer medical insurance without a penalty. Her pay stub shows what has been deducted for taxes and SS as long as she isn't an independent contract worker.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Ever hear of Wally World? They tend to treat their employees like leaf blowers treat leaves

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
If you have less than 50 employees, you don't have to offer medical insurance without a penalty. Her pay stub shows what has been deducted for taxes and SS as long as she isn't an independent contract worker.

Then her only offered benefit is the overtime and a job .

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
pay aside. people start to be unproductive after 50-60 hours per week.
I generally wont work my employees more than 50 hours a week. We lose productivity and burn labor costs. Same goes for no more than a 10 hour day, after 10 hours a day, we are losing money because of inefficiencies. Plus union rules state 8 hours a day is standard time, 8-10 hours is overtime, and greater than 10, Sundays and Holidays are double time.

bassman284

Commander
I generally wont work my employees more than 50 hours a week. We lose productivity and burn labor costs. Same goes for no more than a 10 hour day, after 10 hours a day, we are losing money because of inefficiencies. Plus union rules state 8 hours a day is standard time, 8-10 hours is overtime, and greater than 10, Sundays and Holidays are double time.
Yeah, 50 is plenty I think.

The worst job I ever had for hours was in road construction in 1974-75. We would start at 5:30 and work til dark Monday through Friday. Saturdays we didn't have to start until 7:00. I generally clocked in between 80 and 90 hours a week. One memorable week I had 102. That was too much.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
.... One memorable week I had 102. That was too much.

Worst week of my life was over 120 hours, including one unforgettable 42 hours straight. At the end of that, everything hurts. I now do a modest 84 hours a week (12 hours a day, 7 days a week)... Although, the last trip I was known to help out the next shift for a coupleof hours a day... ;)

And yes, you can't earn less by working more. The maths doesn't allow it. Even if you pop into the next tax bracket, it's only the amount above the top of the previous bracket that is taxed at the higher rate.

Chris........

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Stayed with her over the Labor Day.She is still rockin along. They were closed with Harvey. Went back to find out they had put her in a retirement fund; a fairly good raise; along with more responsibility;

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
About 10 yrs ago there was a crew that had an Idiot for a manager. One day the bonehead had a brain fart that backfired and had some of the crew doing some work that was out of their scope. Well they ended up working a 22 1/2 hr day. I told them to go home and not come back for 26 1/2 hrs. They were entitled to an 8 hr rest period, but since the 8 hrs rest period would have extended into the second half of their regular shift, they did not have to report at all. So they were paid for two 7 1/2 hr shifts, and about 20+hrs of DT(part of the rest period was DT), plus 4 OT meal allowances each. Mr. Bonehead was also explaining a few things to the Safety Department, the Union, and the Canadian Board of Industrial Relations. Unfortunately it took another 8 years before the Company sent him kicking his briefcase down the road