New guy...hi everyone

81manatee

Seaman Apprentice
Hello. I've been directed towards this site on so many searches, so I thought this would be the boating forum to join. I'm pretty much new to boating. A few months ago I traded a 4x4 UTV for an older boat. It was a good trade.

My boat is a 1981 Manatee deep v center console. It's 19 feet long and powered by a Johnson 115. I've been working on it and using it some which seems about right for me. I've repaired some wiring, installed a radio, replaced trailer lighting, all seemingly minor jobs for the most part.

I've wanted a boat for a while, to go fishing and cruising. This is exciting for me. I've taken the boat out 3 times so far and each time has been great fun.

Being new to boating it will be a while before I can contribute to the site so I'll be learning for a while. I have a trolling motor to fix without paying anyone, and a tilt/trim problem I'm afraid will require replacement of the whole assembly.

See you around!

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Welcome to Iboats!! You came to the right place for advice on all things boating. Good luck and happy boating.

aspeck

Staff member
Welcome aboard, Manatee! May I suggest you find and complete a safe boating course as soon as possible. Some states require them for operating a boat. There are classroom and online courses available and both will teach you a lot. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. It will save you so much grief and embarrassment! We have all been there, so it is cool! And lastly, don't forget to put in the plug! Happy boating!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard 81manatee, always great to have a new member...

Boating does get exciting and under your skin, sort a speak. And working on and understanding your boat goes along with it as well.

What type trolling motor are you going to fix? I have repaired a few along the way. If it is something I can help you with, I'd be more then glad.

Take some pictures of your new to you boat and post them for everybody to see. We love pictures on these forums. :thumb:

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
welcome to the site. lots of good folks and good advice here.

81manatee

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys. I plan on taking an online boater's safety soon enough. My oldest son is required by law; here in LA, anyone born 1984/later is required to take it. I've driven plenty of boats and taken boater's safety when I was a kid, just never owned a boat before.

I'm trying to set the routines...the at home/before leaving checklist, the at the launch checklist, the in the water checklist, and the done boating/back on the trailer checklist.

I have a minn kota riptide 70# trolling motor. The serial number comes back as an '08 model. I've already replaced the switch in the head, which I think was a result of my younger sons playing with it until it burned up. Now, I think I have another problem to solve in the lower unit, either a dirty armature and worn brushes, or the pin. We'll see. Thankfully a buddy at work can help with this when it's time. I'd like to tear into it over the next few days.

Another issue I'm trying to sort out is the tilt/trim setup. I'm being told the awful racket it's making is inside the hydraulic tilt cylinder, and the only way to fix it is to disassemble and replace. I'm on the hunt for a decent used or reasonably priced rebuilt unit.

Pictures...as soon as I find a better photo hosting site than photobucket, I'll post some pics. I have thousands of pics on there, linked to the other sites I visit, but photobucket now sucks eggs by not allowing 3rd party linking any more.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

You can upload pics direct to iboats once you post a few more times.

81manatee

Seaman Apprentice
Turns out the trolling motor needed a good cleaning in the lower unit. The brushes were stuck in their seats and the armature was covered with buildup. I cleaned everything, made sure the brushes slid in their seats, reassembled, and it works like it should now.