Teaching a 17 year old

harleyman1975

Ensign
Hired a green kid to learn to be a mechanics/painters helper in my shop. Today we learned how to change oil and then how to wash a car. I hope I have the patience for this...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
woosah.jpg

82rude

Rear Admiral
Just remember you at that age ,we all got to start somewheres.Also think comic relief,lol.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just remember you were 17 once, try to remember what was bouncing around in your brain at that age!!!

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
if he shows back up tomorrow, he just might be worth a crap. good job taking on the task of training him. it's good to know there are still places that will do that.

robert graham

Admiral
If he's really interested to learn and do this he'll be fine.....I've found lots of younger folks just lack any curiosity/interest in cars, boats, motorcycles, airplanes, etc....I really don't know what turns these kids on!??

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Seems hard to find kids willing to learn the construction trades also ... Or get em to pass a drug test ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If he doesn't have that "I know everything already" attitude, and seems interested in learning the trade, I'd hang with him. But if he is one of them know it all's, I'd loose interesting in trying to train him.

I remember we had a group of new engineers join our office, and for the most part, they were eager to learn. We has a few that thought they knew everything already. But their book knowledge couldn't be put to actual use. They finally came along after seeing book knowledge was good, but putting that knowledge to work was the real art. JMHO

southkogs

Staff member
On the flip side : you didn't have to "un-learn" him a buncha' bad habits, right? :whoo:

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
When I bought my new-to-me-boat from a nearby marina - I asked if they needed help (my son, 19 or 20 at the time). I think he worked a few hours at the gas dock, but when the lead mechanic found he was willing to work, learn, and was interested - they kept him working and learning more and more about marine mechanical work.

There's still kids out there that are interested in things other than video games and doing nothing. But, I agree, there are many out there that make it easy for the motivated to get good jobs, and move up the chain quickly. Of course, I may be biased, but that's my .02.

harleyman1975

Ensign
He is a good kid and seems to be interested in learning, just has no exposure to the stuff I had been at that age. No car, No lic, I was changing oil at 12 and teaching myself bodywork at 14. At 15 I was working beside my Grandfather in a tire shop doing semi tires and oil changes ect...1981 making 5.25 @ hr. Not faulting his character at all just mentioning the fact that he is sooo green.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
It's great that the kid is interested, and is learning. We need more people like you that are willing to cultivate that interest, and have the patience to teach them. To me, as long as a person is doing their best at getting a job done, I'll help 'em get there.

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hang in there, sometimes it's hard to see potential. I had an 18 year old start on my concrete construction crew last summer, and after a week I thought there's no way this kid is gonna make it.. A year later, after much frustration, and an occasional outburst from me , he's come a long way... He still has a long way to go, but has stuck with it and improved a lot more than I expected at first

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Changing oil and washing a car is too much work? Hope he has book smarts to make a living.

harleyman1975

Ensign
LOL he is going to work for his uncle (a plumber) for better pay. Brother if he though doing this was tough wait until he has to be the grunt on a plumbing crew. Meet mr shovel! LOL Here carry this toilet up to the third floor, ect...

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
LOL he is going to work for his uncle (a plumber) for better pay. Brother if he though doing this was tough wait until he has to be the grunt on a plumbing crew. Meet mr shovel! LOL Here carry this toilet up to the third floor, ect...

He may last one day with his uncle and then ask Momma to ask you for his job back. LOL

aspeck

Staff member
Oh boy! This young man has a lot to learn ... guess he is hoping Unc takes care of him and he can sit in he van and get paid! To coin a PA Dutch saying, " We get to soon old and too late smart."