Rescue Greyhound

gibletts

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi..

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with re-homing an ex racing greyhound. We have adopted a 6yr old, he for the best part the perfect gentleman but with one exception being when invited out for a walk he will go a short distance, have a poop then will freeze and will only go in one direction which is back home to his bed, I understand this is a trait of the breed but looking for anyone who may have come across this and managed this behavior. We live in a suburbs and on a quiet street, traffic, people, dogs dont seem to bother him, no time for cats however. We understand he lived in an apartment in the city for a couple of years prior to us getting him. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
I haven't adopted one myself but have known a couple that were adopted. that is not a trait trained into him from racing trainers.
more than likely his previous owner didn't like to walk him so he was trained by them to do his business and back to the apt.

just be patient and take him back home "slowly" maybe tempt him to walk a bit more for a treat...

gibletts

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yup I was thinking something along those lines, the dog doesn't associate the walk as being a fun activity as such yet. I didnt want to tempt him with treats as he might end up deciding that making like a statue is a good and easy way to earn a reward... Might try taking his squeeky pig toy with us or even borrow another dog who is keen on walks. We have only had him a week so early days yet....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You need to take him to a dog park, someplace a bit away from where he lives, my ex wife has adopted several of them over the last 30 years and each one has had their own quirks, this one may have only been allowed to walk to take care of his business and then run, just depends on who the trainer was, which is information that should be provided upon adoption, that way you can check the background and gain some information on how they were treated and trained.

southkogs

Staff member
I've never adopted one, but have considered it a few times and see them regularly around here. Don't some of them get real skittish due to abuse? You may have some "social rehab" to do on the poor dude.

gibletts

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

This guy seems pretty relaxed, he had two small yappy dogs and some kids noise him up this morning, he just looked down his nose at them and carried on without fuss. He eventually took care of his business and as usual decided he was going no further and we headed home, he had his breakfast and a 4hr nap.

Doesn't seem to be a problem walking if we go out in the car and start away from home however.

We havnt had him long but they seem to make great pets, ie come already house trained, dont chew your stuff up, not aggressive and seem to like to sleep a lot. But no good with cats, and my one doesnt want to go for a walk!

Attachments

• photo272438.jpg
    photo272438.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0

G_Hipster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I haven't messed with any Greyhounds, but have rescued several pits. I have had some dogs take a few months to get acclimated to the new surroundings. Your doggies bahavior doesn't sound like a bad thing. I have one dog now that takes 45 minutes to find a spot to go. LOL

gibletts

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yep I suppose that is the way of the world, when you are that good looking you can get away with being lazy.