Nascar - Some CW Name Brickyard 400 At Indy

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Got the final iFL results for the Brickyard 400.

sportsman3 pulled a double with his 2nd win in a row. Congrats! slurpee11.png

TB2448 added to his overall lead.

Next races are at Pocono with Cup and Trucks while X-Men are running at Iowa.

boatman37

Lieutenant
WOW!!! lost alot of respect for JGR today (not that I had much anyway). Not sure if anyone saw it yet but there was an altercation in Truex's pits Sunday after the crash. Busch#18 crew chief Adam Stevens came into the #78 pit box and went nose to nose with a #78 crew member and told him he should kick his a**. Another crew member stepped in and told Stevens to get out of his pit box. They announced today that JGR suspended the 2 #78 crew members for 3 races??? Apparently the #78 crew is employed by JGR but Adam Stevens is the one that came into their pit box and threatened their crew member. I guess if they can't beat them on the track they have to take other measures?

link to confrontation:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/kyl...-adam-stevens-threatens-78-pit-crew-brickyard

link to suspension:
atricle:http://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...uspends-two-crewmembers-furniture-row-racing/

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have a feeling JGR is in kind of melt down mode about this time of the season, after being successful for the last couple of years, they ain't doing so good. I do agree, Adam started this whole mess and if they are going to punish guys on Martin's team, they should also punish Adam for trying to start an altercation with their team.

I would not be surprised to see NASCAR itself get involved in this one!

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Respect would be given by me if Gibbs had suspended Stevens. He had no right to come into Truex's pit box whether Gibbs supplies the #78 pit crew or not.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Respect would be given by me if Gibbs had suspended Stevens. He had no right to come into Truex's pit box whether Gibbs supplies the #78 pit crew or not.

I have a feeling this one is not going to turn out well for anyone involved in those two teams, Joe might be the pit crews owner, but with the #78 being owned by another owner, I would say he is probably no happy right now. There are rumors floating around that Barney is talking about hiring them away from Joe and field them as is team, I also heard the radio show this morning that Barney is talking about breaking the team partnership with JGR.

I am sure the drama with get bigger!

boatman37

Lieutenant

Agreed. If they suspend Stevens then it's fair across the board but this whole thing screams of 'well we can't beat you on the track so take this'. Got to wonder how much FRR is actually getting from JGR at this point? Sure initially they needed help but I doubt they are getting much technical help outside of parts and equipment (and apparently a crew). I'm thinking JGR has been begging FRR for help the last few months. If FRR can find another source for engines and chassis then maybe they should break away. I think TRD builds the engines so JGR has nothing to do with that. I know I would be livid over this suspension if I was Barney Visser. I'm already livid and I have nothing to do with it...lol. I just try to always do the right thing and hope others do too and when I see this type of crap happen it really gets under my skin.

I'm thinking part of the deal with the alliance was that JGR owns everything and FRR 'rents' everything from them so JGR rakes in more cash on the deal. When the deal was signed FRR had no leverage. That has changed now. I think many teams would be willing to work with FRR now.

Be interesting to see how this plays out.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
i think most do...lol

wonder what Toyota thinks about it? wonder if they have anything to say to JGR? Truex is carrying the Toyota banner and is their best chance at a championship this year

Unfortunately and I have been saying it for a couple of years, NASCAR is starting to act like the Indy car organization in the late 80's early 90's when you didn't know who belonged to what organization and what you were going to be watching when you watch the Indy car race, you had the IRL, CART, USAC and who remembers what other ones..

This dust up, probably won't have many implications this season, but remember we are in the Silly Season time of the year when things move around, it will be interesting to see what happens going into next season, especially with speculation on new manufactures coming into the series, I read a European article the other day that was saying Mercedes has been talking about fielding a NASCAR team, Dodge has been talking about it as well as Nissan!

I could just imagine a Mercedes C class, Nissan Maxima and a Dodge Charger out there, that would make things interesting again!

boatman37

Lieutenant
I would like to see more manufacturers. My first car was a 1972 Cutlass so I was an Olds fan. Harry Gant was my guy when I first started watching NASCAR in the mid 80's. It was cool seeing all 3 GM makes, Dodge, and Ford (and even Mercury and Chrysler before that). I would love to see Dodge get back in and not because I am a Dodge fan (I'm actually a Chevy fan).

GA_Boater

If M-B or Nissan doesn't have a car ready now, they won't racing until 2019 at the earliest. Sergio says Dodge won't be coming back, however there is a slim, a very slim, chance Chrysler may enter the fray.

boatman37

Lieutenant
Just reading up on this a little more and came across a good point. If JGR has full control over FRR then they are essentially violating the 4 car rule? If they can dictate when happens with the #77 and #78 then is it not then a 6 car team? I understand other teams have agreements but not to this extent. Sure Ganassi gets support from HMS and SHR from Roush but do they employ the team members too? Can they dictate pay? Suspension? PTO?

If JGR builds and supplies the cars, bodies, and personnel, then just ships everything to a different geographical location does that make it a separate entity? They basically own everything about FRR. I guess they could also suspend Truex if he acted like Kyle at any point (BTW-Kyle wasn't punished for physically attacking Logano)?

Will NASCAR look into this issue?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Stevens should be the only one forced to sit in a chair and face the corner. If he didn't go over to Truex's box there wouldn't have been an altercation.

A sidebar, Stevens would get his butt kicked... :)

Sorry I'm late to the party, took a little vacation...