Interesting Observance.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Today again, I was cleaning up yard tools that I've use to trim hedges and cut trees and things like that. I usually like to completely clean and sharpen the blades before running them dry and putting them away for next usage.

Well again today I was using an angle pneumatic die grinder to clean things up.I was outside the shop dining this. While I was using it, huge flies camein with in a matter of 30 seconds. I thought it was strange to see the flies come in like that and buzz me when the die grinder was running. And these are large flies not the typical house fly.

So I did a little experiment. When I stopped the die grinder, those flies landed on whatever they could. I killed them. And once I start grinding again. more showed up. It was like the Twilight Zone. I had the same thing happen back some time ago when I was again using a grinder on metal then as well. I don't know what draws them in, but it has something to do with the sound, frequency or vibration. Or so it seems.

Has anybody else noticed that and have an idea why they come to such sound? This isn't the first time I've noticed this. :noidea:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If I am running the mill or the lathe in the shop, I always have odd bugs show up and buzz me, has to have something to do with the frequency of the machines.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
GM280 = Lord of the flies?

found this with a quick search this morning from a wood working site. apparently vibrating metal attracts some insects

"I found a post on another site from a woodworker that was curious about the same phenomenon. He wrote "After reading through some dense entomological studies, i learned that parasitic flies which prey on cicadas or crickets are attracted to those insects' sounds. The gigantic, loud vibrating caused by the saw attracted that species of fly (the flies had pads on the ends of their legs unlike the clawed ends of housefly feet), and they hung about on the saw and wood (and on my hand, the last time i was working on the project) waiting to find a cicada or cricket."

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha guys, thanks for the info. I figured it had to do with the frequency because It doesn't happen when I am doing other things that make lots of noise. But seems every time I use the grinder(s), outside, those flies show up. And it won't even be a problem if they didn't try buzzing me and landing on me. I don't have an insect phobia, but I do have a biting phobia. :eek:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
So, either they were thinking you were some kind of insect king or a really big, delicious meal?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
So, either they were thinking you were some kind of insect king or a really big, delicious meal?

Well when they did land on me, they wanted to bit. I had them do that many times before and those suckers really hurt too. I did kill a few though. That was fun. :thumb: