Sub-meter GPS accuracy?

bandit86

Banned
Is there any reasonably priced GPS that can do a better than 1 meter accuracy that doesn't costs fortune? I left my Garmin 62 on a fence lost and the screen looks like a spiderweb after a minute

bandit86

Banned
My Garmin 62 has waas and the location im in it cant seem to get closer than a 15 meter average

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Under what circumstances? Did you have WAAS turned on? How many satellites did you have lock on?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Consumer GPS is limited to 1 meter accuracy

Commercial and Military can get you to within 150mm

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Not getting to 1 meter with an inexpensive" handheld.

A good number of fixed mounts don't get there without a remote antenna.

bandit86

Banned
Yes was was turned on. I'm in a valley going north to south and there are lots of trees. I do have ea Garmin inreach, is there a way to sync them up maybe?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
next question...why do you think you need 1 meter accuracy?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I bought a hand held GPS decades ago when I was hunting religiously. And that unit was amazing when it first came out. It would bring me out to my truck within yards of where the truck was parked. It ate batteries like candy though. If you got 8 hours out of the 8 AA batteries, you were doing exceptionally well. I still have that unit yet and have't used in decades.

It was well before 2K issues and I thought once we flipped over to 2K it would be toast because nobody really knew what it would do. It worked perfect after the year 2000 came in. And of course that was way before the accuracy was so good on them. These days we take such things as normal. But there were days when GPS wasn't widely available or as accurate as we now enjoy.

One thing I did do with my hand held unit was, I was in a hunting club, and for the most part we all knew where our deer stand were located, or so we thought. I went to all the corners and captured those setting in the GPS. And then I wen to every deer stand in existence and captured those locates as well. Then I went home and uses scatter chart function using MS Excel and plotted the entire hunting club out on a paper graph. We all were very impressed to see how the deer stands were actually located to each other. The birds eye view was amazing to see in such accuracy. And it was a lot different the any of us thought.

Just reminiscing here. :facepalm:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It would bring me out to my truck within yards of where the truck was parked
Even with Selective Availability turned on in those days, the repeatability of bringing you back was still good. SA only put in a huge variable offset. Your LAT LON numbers weren't accurate but repeatability back to where you thought you were was always pretty good.

New GPS satellites don't even have the SA built into them.

Last edited: