Green Fly repellant

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
July &August in the Long Island NY area Bays when there is little wind is a haven for Horse/Green Flies and Hell for people. What is your favorite solution other than getting out of the area at a high rate of speed.

Nick

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Nasty creatures.... no go to Assateague Island w/o an stiff east wind to keep them back in the marsh. Horses wade out and stand in the water to get away from them.

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
Up here in northern ontario where the skitters are as big as vultures i use Repel 100. 98.9 PERCENT DEET! Works great and can be had at wallyworld in soo michigan.In canada they limit the deet to 30 percent and its useless.Repel 100 not sold in canada.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I agree with the bug spray, they will still hover and circle your head and that is annoying but won't land.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
With my aim i could go thru a 50 pound bag of salt without hitting a single fly. lol. However the napalm may work.
I think I'll try to find the 98% Deet.

Thanks all,
Nick

82rude

Rear Admiral
I got mine at wallmart and in sure other places sell it .We have bugs called no-see-ums that hound you by the thousands some times and with the repel 100 on they dont bite me atall.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Here in middle Georgia we are pested with gnats. And they can buzz in an ear, eye and nose so quickly, it seems amazing. One thing I have tried and actually works is Avon Skin-So-Soft lotion. It smells nice and those gnats don't seem to like it. So we use that when the gnats get crazy.

We also get horse flies but only certain times of the year. And don't let one land on you because they do bite and it really hurts. I have killed some of them measuring an inch long. That is a huge horse fly. But they are too stupid to fly out of the mini-blind I have on the windows in my shop. So once they fly into those blinds, they end up dead by the next day. But they usually aren't around for long anyway.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Up here in northern ontario where the skitters are as big as vultures i use Repel 100. 98.9 PERCENT DEET! Works great
We're trying to kill them, not pump them up.......lol
Green heads are very tolerant of pesticides. Deet has little to no affect on them as well as their friends the salt marsh mosquito. Just delaying the enviable

82rude

Rear Admiral
We also have the ever pesty pine beetles which our provincial dnr lies to everybody and says they dont bite! Well if they dont bite they got one hell of a pinch!