Hello all new here from ohio

Craigs1904

Cadet
Hello ladies and gentlemen!! As title says I'm new and I hope it's ok to post here. I didn't see a specific area to introduce!. I just bought a 1990 cobra 1904.. first time ever owning a boat and completely new... boat seems to be in decent shape... got it cheap so yes needs some repairs..

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats . . .

:welcome:

Tell us a bit more about the boat. Is this a Bayliner Cobra 1904? Outboard engine? What brand/model? What sort of repairs is it going to need?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Welcome to iboats!

aspeck

Staff member
Welcome, Craigs! May I first suggest you take a safe boating course since you say you are completely new. I have been on, around, and owning boats since I was born, and when I took the PA Safe Boaters course with my kids I learned something new, or was reminded of something I forgot, every time! Invaluable info in those courses.

After that it is time to get the boat in tip-top shape. How is the floor and transom? Any soft spots? In an older boat, these are the most common areas of concern. There is lots of info in the restoration forums, as well as throughout the pages of these fora.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the new to you boat. We look forward to getting to know you and helping you enjoy your vessel.

Remember that iboats also sells everything outdoors and has a price match option to keep you supplied with the best parts and accessories at the best prices.

Craigs1904

Cadet
I know it needs some upholstery work.. floors and everything seem fine. It was on the water recently I'm assuming since it has a 2019 sticker on it.... right now it don't start.. that battery is dead.. I think this is why it won't start.. guy I got it from said it was stator.. but I'm gonna take a good battery out of a car to test this.. it has the force 150... it is a outboard motor. Also @ aspeck... I'm gonna take a course only paid $700.. tried to load pics and I can't right now.. I will try again

aspeck

Staff member
All great, Craigs. Yes, you need a few more posts before you can load pictures. Happy boating.

aspeck

Staff member
I think the number is 5. I am not positive, but I think that is right.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
:welcome: aboard, Craig.

4th post is the magic number to add photos, so next post better have pics! :D If you need help, click Forum Help in the sig below and look at the Photo Tutorial. Bear in mind that Photobucket is holding photos hostage, so Options 1 and 2 are the way to add pics.

Welcome, Craigs! May I first suggest you take a safe boating course since you say you are completely new. I have been on, around, and owning boats since I was born, and when I took the PA Safe Boaters course with my kids I learned something new, or was reminded of something I forgot, every time! Invaluable info in those courses.

Excellent advice! When I started out I took a classroom safety course offered by the U.S. Power Squadron and the classroom setting with being able to ask questions was invaluable. I take a free online course every year as a refresher.

Check on your state boat licensing website for links to safety courses certified for your state.

Tnstratofam

Commander
:welcome: You've come to the best place on the web for everything boats!

Lots of great knowledgeable people here with some great threads on everything from engines repair to full boat restorations.

Don't forget that our host iboats has a great selection of parts and supplies for you and your boat when you need something.

Craigs1904

Cadet
So it appears I'm not getting spark.. I'm assuming it's the stator.... can Simone tell me how to test this I assume I need to test the ohms.. but which wires and where are they? Oh it's a mercury force 150... 1990

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
So it appears I'm not getting spark.. I'm assuming it's the stator.... can Simone tell me how to test this I assume I need to test the ohms.. but which wires and where are they? Oh it's a mercury force 150... 1990

Best thing to do is ask in the Mercury/Mariner Outboard forum, Craig.

Craigs1904

Cadet
I may have put in wrong area I put in the force section. Is that wrong? Lol gonna try and post a pic.. I can't upload one from photobucket or off phone

aspeck

Staff member
Photobucket used to be one of the EASIST ways to do pics, but they very recently changed their rules ... you need to pay them $399 per year for 3rd party hosting. You will see a lot of photobucket "speedometers of death" in the forums now ... grrrrrr

Craigs1904

Cadet
So what's easiest way now.. I tried looking at the tutorial and it didn't work.. I'm doing this on my phone

southkogs

Staff member
You can still link images from a third party hosting site (Flickr, imgbb, etc.) that will allow it. Photobucket stopped allowing people to use their service free of charge.

Otherwise, option 2 in the Photo Tutorial is pretty easy. Your images have to be under 700KB though.

tpenfield

Staff member
Typically any pictures you take with your phone will be larger in size than what you can upload to iBoats, unless you resize them on your phone beforehand