just thinking out loud about evinrude s possible direction in fantasy land.

82rude

Rear Admiral
So we have a line of outboards all 2 strokes.How about a line of complimentary 4 strokes based maybe on the 4tec and ACE tech from their sleds.Do something to steal market share from the 4 stroke mfgs by beating them in the 4 stroke game.So we could have 2 choices, 2 stroke or 4 .Wonder if their mulling that one over?I would if i was them.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Wouldn't matter, at least around here. Can't sell without a support network

There are Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki dealers and service centers on every other corner.

The closest Evinrude dealer is an 60-70 minutes away. Reputation is suspect

82rude

Rear Admiral
Well thats something they have to address and fix.Thing is if you build they will buy, it might be small numbers at first but if you can build a rep for reliability bingo.Around me you see a few yammys and the very odd suzzy.Lots of mercs and slowly evinrude is building up.We didnt have a brp dealer on my side of the river (canada) so we either had to drive 180 miles or hop across the river(usa) and find a dealer willing to go against brp policy and sell to a canuck via several sneaky ways.Now we have one 100 miles north and 15 miles east.Around here yamaha is not very popular and honda though excellent are pretty rare also.When i was out on vancouver island dingbat it was lousy with yamaha and suzzy.Regional biases i guess.Iwould hazard a guess and say around here merc outnumbers all others 10 to 1.I feel lonely with my etec sometimes but their selling more and more.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The. Again we're comparing apples to oranges. It's not as much regional bias as regional needs.
For a coastal boater, 150hp is a small motor. 8 out to 10 are 200hp and bigger. If you pull all the 150hp and below motors out of your count, what are you left with?

Merc only one has one product line in this market ( Verado) and they are not very impressive. Pretty Unresponsive until the turbo kicks then you hear a very loud sucking coming from the transom.

The economics of 2 strokes (Opti and etec) in this market puts them at the bottom of the wish list. Oil cost isn't an issue to the gallon a year crowd, but it adds up quickly for those of
who go through a gallon or so a day. Checked the price of a barrel (55 gallons) of XD100 lately?

I run high HP motors from both camps (4 strokes and 2 strokes) on a regular basis.

While 2 strokes have come a long way, they have not solved the problem of the bottomless oil pan and the associated hassles, i.e. Buying, storing, mixing a second oil supply

82rude

Rear Admiral
If you take out all the smallies where i am merc still has a 10 to 1 advantage dingbat.Yammy and Suzuki have zero following around here .I was just out this morning and there were several 250 plus outboards out fishing and every one was a merc but one and it was an etec 150.Unless you built it nobody can buy it and i dont believe their going that way but i can always hope.Like i said just fanatsy dreaming.Still firmly believe brp would be well served adding 4 strokes to the lineup. Me and a 115 mariner were the babies today.You would know a hell of a lot better than me dingbat but say for a pro tourney fisherman would the sponsor most likely foot the bill for oil?Didnt you have big ocean runners or did you toss them or im thinking of somebody else.

82rude

Rear Admiral
P.S. i didnt get skunked!OH if i had a 55 gallon drum my grandson would probably inherit some,lol