What kind of snake??

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Any idea what kind of snake this Is? NW. Lower Much. It was mean and could flatten out the top of it's head like a cobra. About 1 ft long. 5/8" thick. Brown with blk pattern. No rattle that I could see but it was young. Don't think we have many rattles anyway, they say the occasional timber rattler.

Attachments

• photo268999.jpg
    photo268999.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 0

82rude

Rear Admiral
Least were not in se asia,the small ones can kill you in no time atall.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hog-nose snakes will flatten out their head sections like a cobra. I guess that is part of their defense abilities. They will also put off a stink and turn up side down if threatened to mimic a dead snake with the stink. But don't go by my ideas. I can't see it really good and it could be a rattler as well, but rattles don't flatten their heads like a cobra. :noidea:

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Picture too small to really ID the snake.

There are several with similar color pattern.

To ID a venomous snake its pupil shape is the first clue. A venomous snake tends to have cat eye style pupils, while nonvenomous tend to have round pupils.
Its not 100%... but pretty reliable in USA.

http://www.wildlife-removal.com/snakepoisonous.html

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Picture too small to really ID the snake.

There are several with similar color pattern.

To ID a venomous snake its pupil shape is the first clue. A venomous snake tends to have cat eye style pupils, while nonvenomous tend to have round pupils.
Its not 100%... but pretty reliable in USA.

http://www.wildlife-removal.com/snakepoisonous.html

while I appreciate the information, if you're close enough to determine pupil shape, it's probably too late.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Round eyes or cat eyes?

snake.PNG

BTW - It is an Eastern Brown snake, 2nd most venomous snake in the world and I wouldn't be sticking around to look at it's eyes.

The full vid;

southkogs

Staff member
Maybe a western fox snake? Can't quite tell from the photo, but we got faked out by them thinking they were rattlers a couple times.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
NO it is not an Eastern Brown snake unless you live in Australia. But then you have so many other dangerous snakes to contend with as well. I still think it is a Eastern Hog Nose snake and really nothing to be too concerned with. But then again, I am certainly not a snake expert by any stretch. JMHO

82rude

Rear Admiral
Vast majority of n.american fatalities are from rattlers.Amazingly enough some people ignore going to the hospital and several had preexisting conditions .What makes the brown so deadly is really not its venom which is pretty bad its its aggressiveness to the point of giving chase.Most feel the krait is way up there.Heres an interesting read especially for those that travel a lot.I use to have a picture of yours truly with a 13 foot plus python (plus 150 lbs) wrapped around me .Though well fed and docile it was a very powerful girl.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Looks like a corn or milk snake.

Found one @16" in our bedroom the other day. No idea how he got there

Last edited:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I get that snake phobia is pretty common but they do lots of good....of course...easy to say from Eastern Canada where our most venomous creatures are our politicians...

It is an outstandingly wet year around here and my garden was getting devoured by slugs. I was picking them daily, but losing the battle.
Suddenly their numbers were hugely reduced....for no apparent reason.
I happened to turn over an upended clay pot, underneath was the fattest rat snake i have ever seen....with three slugs in it's mouth.
If that lad wants to move inside for the winter, I'll clear him a spot in a warm corner of a cupboard. Saved my growing season!! :)

(of course if that had been an Eastern Brown or similar, all bets are off....:) )

82rude

Rear Admiral
Any kind of snake in our area is harmless other than the extremely rare to be found Mississauga rattler which is normally further east and south.Most snakes now are easy to spot because their wearing bright yellow rain coats!

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
LOL yeah they tell me we have a couple rattler species Massauga and one other one. Never seen one though