It only takes a blink of the eye ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just a reminder if your tired and have been working a lot and odd hours to be careful while driving ... This is how my son Ryan ended up Friday afternoon on the way home from work ... He said he just dozed off for a second and the next thing he new he was upside down ... He hit a concrete pump that was being towed behind a truck .. Thank the Lord he was not hurt or anyone else .. We think he may have some blood pressure issues and the A/C in his car was not working ... I really think that may have contributed to his nodding off ... I know the temps must have been brutal in his car ..

I tell ya my heart just sank when I pulled up to the accident and saw the car had flipped ... I did know that he was ok . He had called his mom while he was being looked at then she called me ... Once I got there and found that he was ok I made the mistake of sending my wife a picture of the car ....She called back being quite emotional as you would expect .. I think I should have waited till we got home ...
I know I have dozed off for a second or two before while driving .. When I feel like that, I stop and get a coke or coffee to drink .. I think it helps keep you alert being occupied with something other than just staring at the road ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
OMG Sam, so glad he was okay.

I have to admit, I have driven before (years ago now) where I couldn't remember what happened in the last 10 minutes or so. No more of that ever again for me.

We all have done similar things and wonder why we are all still here. Hope everything comes out okay. And I don't know if he was thoroughly checked out in a hospital or not, but maybe he should to verify nothings wrong internally.

Please take care...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Glad the kid is okay.
These tiny little cars they built today seem to flip over and/or lose wheels all the time

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys ... Yes we did take him to the ER to get checked out .. Just some bruises where the seatbelt was and a severely damaged pride .. He doesn't speed
and had a spotless driving record until now ... I think the truck had just started his turn into the gas station and he hit the pump on the right side .. It nosed down and the momentum just flipped it over ...No damage to the truck but the pump was a total loss ..

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Thank heavens all are okay...

I bite and suck on a lemon if I get tired and need to get a few more miles...works wonders.

boatman37

Lieutenant
Wow. Glad he was ok. I remember back around 1998 I sold my '57 Chevy to a guy in Sweden and had to deliver it to Elizabeth, NJ to be shipped. I worked nighshift and left at 6:00 AM Friday morning. At about 2:00AM Saturday morning on the return trip I felt myself hallucinating and seeing things on the side of the road. Very scary. Since then I will pull over in a safe area and nap if I feel too tired.

On another note about 20 years ago 3 kids (all siblings) were hit on their way to the bus stop right in front of our house. One was severely injured and life flighted (made a full recovery). The driver had just finished a double shift and said he fell asleep. I had to appear in court to testify as I was the first one there after it happened.

southkogs

Staff member
Thank God, Sam. That's just scary no matter how you cut it. I hope all of the bumps and bruises heal quickly.

staydry

Seaman
A few years back...my daughter's boyfriend was driving home.....fell asleep...rolled his truck and was ejected.....killed him instantly.....troopers said if he'd had seat belt on would probably have been no worse than bumps & bruises ......

bassman284

Commander
Wow. Glad he was ok. I remember back around 1998 I sold my '57 Chevy to a guy in Sweden and had to deliver it to Elizabeth, NJ to be shipped. I worked nighshift and left at 6:00 AM Friday morning. At about 2:00AM Saturday morning on the return trip I felt myself hallucinating and seeing things on the side of the road. Very scary. Since then I will pull over in a safe area and nap if I feel too tired.

On another note about 20 years ago 3 kids (all siblings) were hit on their way to the bus stop right in front of our house. One was severely injured and life flighted (made a full recovery). The driver had just finished a double shift and said he fell asleep. I had to appear in court to testify as I was the first one there after it happened.
It's been about 50 years ago, but I remember once seeing a circus clown doing cartwheels alongside me.

sam60

Captain
Just a reminder if your tired and have been working a lot and odd hours to be careful while driving ... This is how my son Ryan ended up Friday afternoon on the way home from work ... He said he just dozed off for a second and the next thing he new he was upside down ... He hit a concrete pump that was being towed behind a truck .. Thank the Lord he was not hurt or anyone else .. We think he may have some blood pressure issues and the A/C in his car was not working ... I really think that may have contributed to his nodding off ... I know the temps must have been brutal in his car ..

I tell ya my heart just sank when I pulled up to the accident and saw the car had flipped ... I did know that he was ok . He had called his mom while he was being looked at then she called me ... Once I got there and found that he was ok I made the mistake of sending my wife a picture of the car ....She called back being quite emotional as you would expect .. I think I should have waited till we got home ...
I know I have dozed off for a second or two before while driving .. When I feel like that, I stop and get a coke or coffee to drink .. I think it helps keep you alert being occupied with something other than just staring at the road ..

Glad he's OK, Sam.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys for all the well wishes .... Now he needs to start looking for a replacement vehicle .... I need to replace the alternator in my old 2000 Escalade . He can use that until he gets something else ...