Nascar - Four Left Turns Just Like Indy

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Along with seven right turns, one of them a hairpin turn and throw in a squiggle along with up and downs - It's a Cup road race at Sonoma! Boy is it drawing a crowd of teams. All of 38 for 40 spots. Can't even make a full field for some of the best Cup racing. :blue:

Road courses do bring out the ringers - Alon Day from Nascar Europe in the #23 for BK Racing, Billy Johnson in the Petty #43, Josh Bilicki in the #51 of Rick Ware Racing and longtime Cup ringer Boris Said driving the #33 for Circle Sport.

No weather to talk about, it never rains out there. But it was 104 today and it's cooling off Friday through Sunday - 81[SUP]o[/SUP].

Also this weekend is action from Iowa with X-Men and Trucks. The Sonoma and Iowa schedule from MRN;

som2017.PNG

Heats #1 and #2 are 25 laps each and the A Main is 60 laps for a total of 110 laps.

iowa2017.PNG

News and Notes
  • Robby Gordon, a Cup veteran who left Nascar to start his own Stadium Truck racing series 4 years ago got into trouble in Australia this past weekend. After a truck race there, during post race celebrations, he did some donuts in his race truck on the street. In Australia this is called hooning and he was fined $4k. The Australian auto racing organization yanked his competition license and he can't race there anymore.
  • No Cup penalties at Michigan, but 2 X-Men and 1 Truck penalties were announced. Hamlin's X-Win was ruled encumbered for a non-flat splitter.
  • Some teams are upset about the debris cautions. One was a trash bag and the 2nd one wasn't shown, but it allowed The Twerp to get enough gas to finish the race. :rolleyes:
  • I understand Nascar needs to pay the bills, but 103 commercials between the Invocation to the checkered flag in 3 hrs. and 7 minutes is a bit much. 24 minutes total for the inter-heat cautions is ridiculous. :mad:
  • TV ratings - 1.9 vs 2.0 last year, 2.2 and 2.7 in 2015/2014.
  • This is the last Fox race this year, switching over to NBC starting at Daytona next weekend. Bye bye Waltrips! :high5:

iBoats Fantasy Live
iFL Michigan was won by TB2448, our first 3 time winner this year. TB is also sitting on top of the overall leaderboard enjoying a cold one. slurpee11.pngCongrats!

Make changes or pick the Road Course Ringers, get your roster changes in before the race start.​
Humpty_Boater, Esq.
Higher ratings than Monster - No Phantom Debris Cautions[SUP]TM[/SUP]

GA_Boater

The two Sonoma Cup practices today resulted in a few banged up cars and and mechanical issues. Jones and Elliott both wrecked their cars and Kenseth blew up. There were other excursions through the grass and minor scuffles with the Safer barriers.

In a surprising development Jones and Elliott will start where they qualify even though they are in back up cars according to Larry Maxc.. Kenseth will start in the back, I guess. :noidea:

Trucks take the green in a few minutes at Iowa. No Buschwhackers in Trucks tonight or X-Men tomorrow. Suits me to a tee.

I don't half the Truck drivers are old enough to legally drink they're so young looking. Seeing them makes me feel older than I am. :blue:

82rude

Rear Admiral
Go to Playboy After Dark. :tsk:

Would you say that about Kyle Busch?

Last edited by a moderator:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
[*]TV ratings - 1.9 vs 2.0 last year, 2.2 and 2.7 in 2015/2014.
[*]This is the last Fox race this year, switching over to NBC starting at Daytona next weekend. Bye bye Waltrips! :high5:
[/LIST]
Humpty_Boater, Esq.
Higher ratings than Monster - No Phantom Debris Cautions[SUP]TM[/SUP]

Last FOX race? :peace:

I see a trend in the ratings......

​Harrison Burton, is he Jeff's kid?

Apparently, this didn't go thru.

I guess he is Jeff's kid. 16yrs old. Amazing someone that young racing at the truck level...

GA_Boater

It's trending for sure. :eek:

Pretty sure he's Jeff kid.

1st real caution with 10 to go in the heat. #83 spins.

GA_Boater

Loved the in-car camera shot of the #27 crew beatin' the snot out of the truck bed during repairs from the spin. BFH expertise! :D

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I missed all the action. I was upstairs laying in bed contemplating life...... :)

GA_Boater

Red flag is still waving for cleanup from the heat ending yellow.

GA_Boater

Ya must have got me thinking and I Zenned out and missed the restart and most of the final heat. Yikes.

Only 13 to go following another caution for Crafton.

boatman37

Lieutenant
Harrison is Jeffs son.

Chad Knaus' laptop with race notes was stolen from his rental car. Apparently it is encrypted and probably not related to racing though.

GA_Boater

Knaus said it had all his Sonoma race notes. If he didn't have it backed up, too bad.

Probably in a hock shop already.

GA_Boater

John Hunter goes from no X-Victories to a pair of wins in two weeks. Pappa Joe better give him a raise. LOL

Young Burton and Haley wreck at the finish.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well John Hunter knows how to get the sponsorship, last week was their last week for a while, I bet that has changed by getting 2 in a row!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That was too bad for Burton. Went in too hot........

Contemplation? To be continued..... Lol

GA_Boater

animated-alarm-clock-image-0005.gif

Wake up Musky!