Camper Van as Tow Vehicle

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Pusher, I run flowmasters on my rigs, but now a days, most of the mufflers are pretty good, now that we have emissions in place, the companies have got pretty good at making units that conform to the rules and still allow a good flow out of the engine to exhaust the gas. Things have change a lot with the development of cars as well as technology, I would talk to the manager at the shop and let him know what you are wanting to do and let him make some recommendations based on his experiences, a lot of those guys are really pretty good these days.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Well, it happened. Broke a bolt in the manifold block. Will heating it with a butane torch help or is the heat not enough?

Edit: Sorry, propane torch

Attachments

• IMG_20170722_104540205_HDR_crop_562x688.jpg
    IMG_20170722_104540205_HDR_crop_562x688.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well, it happened. Broke a bolt in the manifold block. Will heating it with a butane torch help or is the heat not enough?

Edit: Sorry, propane torch

Is it the piece sticking out of the block, if so, spray it real good with PB blaster and then I would use a set of vice grips and slowly work it out of there a little bit at a time, it looks like it is almost out all the way?

Pusher

Lieutenant
It hadn't budged yet when it broke :-( I tried hitting it with an air hammer and torch while alternating with PB Blaster. I unfortunately have no welding skills.... Or welder

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well I would continue to soak with PB and let it sit for a while, I have had to let them sit overnight before I have been able to get them out, but spray every once in a while. Then when you are ready, get it good and hot, as hot as you possible can with the propane torch while you have the vice grips and slowly turning the bolt.

Pusher

Lieutenant
It came free! Holy cow i was getting bummed.

Here's the tool by power torque for the win.

Attachments

• IMG_20170722_161621499_crop_808x522.jpg
    IMG_20170722_161621499_crop_808x522.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20170722_162451665_crop_484x808.jpg
    IMG_20170722_162451665_crop_484x808.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
late to the party, was going to agree with MT on both points.

PB overnight
and Flowmaster. I like Flowmasters as well, although yuou will do absolutely fine with any stock style muffler as well.

I had FM 50 on a V10 nice sound

Pusher

Lieutenant
Thanks for reaffirming Avenger!

I started the van up yesterday at 4 after 18 hours and it sounded great :) the exhaust was actually the loudest thing on it. New air filter, oil filter/change (boy was that dark!), Serpentine belt, distributor cap and rotor, 4 new spark plug leads and new left exhaust manifold (the old one never had a gasket).

Funny (or sad really) story... The spark plugs looked to be original (80,000 miles). They were labeled (I believe) motorcraft which was the same name as the distributor. Oh, and the oil filter that was refenced as changed by the PO was starting to rust on the outside so I have my suspitions that it was only changed once in his 10,000 miles and three years.

Any idea how to test the AC system, or do I just need to have a shop try and fill it? (It's not the autozone refillable type)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I started the van up yesterday at 4 after 18 hours and it sounded great :) the exhaust was actually the loudest thing on it. New air filter, oil filter/change (boy was that dark!), Serpentine belt, distributor cap and rotor, 4 new spark plug leads and new left exhaust manifold (the old one never had a gasket).

Funny (or sad really) story... The spark plugs looked to be original (80,000 miles). They were labeled (I believe) motorcraft which was the same name as the distributor. Oh, and the oil filter that was refenced as changed by the PO was starting to rust on the outside so I have my suspitions that it was only changed once in his 10,000 miles and three years.

Any idea how to test the AC system, or do I just need to have a shop try and fill it? (It's not the autozone refillable type)

Don't even worry about testing it, it needs to go to an A/C shop that is familiar with doing the R12 to R134a conversion that way they can evacuate the system, check for leaks and add the correct adapters then fill it up correctly.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

sounds like you're doing pretty good so far. should have a pretty good tow vehicle before you know it. than it is off to the fun stuff modifying the interior to fit your needs.

BTW once again I agree with MT go to the shop for the AC.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I will do that guys! Somehow I must have over tightened the oilpan drain plug. It wouldn't quit dripping. I ran down to the store for a new one (which didn't seem to fit) so I scanvenged the washer off of it and used the old one. No go, still leaking but at 50% of before. So then I went back yard mechanic and wrapped the plug in teflon tape.... Still a slight accumulation of oil.... :-( I think I'll get a new oil pan and 6 more quarts of oil. Oye.

On the bright side I think the van already has a transmission cooler installed. It's in front of and to the port side of the radiator.

Oh yeah and earlier I mentioned the tires. I found the DOT stamp on the undercarriage side of the vehicle and they're 2012's so I feel better about that. :)

I can't wait for the interior work. Due to my dumb choice to eat crab and clams that were sitting in the fridge from a week ago, I was up thinking about the bed/sofa structure some more :)

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
before buying an oil pan I would go to Ford dealer and get a new crush washer. it is not a regular washer. should have a black rubber insert in it . only a couple bucks. I have drastically over tightened a ford oil plug before (got my directions reversed lefty loosey LOL) any ways it did not cause any leakage once I got it all sorted out. may want to get an actual drain plug bolt as well.
- now that I think about it, the ford doesn't have a washer. one piece bolt and "flange" should have rubber though I believe. trying to remember the set up in '93.

sounds like you do indeed have a trans cooler.

LOL sorry to hear about the sea food issues, but hey it gave you more time to plan the interior right? LOL

Pusher

Lieutenant
Thabks for the advice. I went down to a different auto store and asked to see if there were other options. Sure enough there were 4 options. Two of them used a cork like material for I picked one of those up and I'll stop by the Ford dealer and ask there to cover my bases. That would sure beat replacing an oil pan. It also helps explain why I wasn't getting a seal.

Awesome. I was hoping it wasn't something else! I didn't even know they had transmission coolers :)

I decided to take the bright side too! There wasn't much else to do since it was self-imposed anyway. I lucked out not getting it worse *knock on wood*

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Thabks for the advice. I went down to a different auto store and asked to see if there were other options. Sure enough there were 4 options. Two of them used a cork like material for I picked one of those up and I'll stop by the Ford dealer and ask there to cover my bases. That would sure beat replacing an oil pan. It also helps explain why I wasn't getting a seal.

Awesome. I was hoping it wasn't something else! I didn't even know they had transmission coolers :)

I decided to take the bright side too! There wasn't much else to do since it was self-imposed anyway. I lucked out not getting it worse *knock on wood*

I was going to say, stop and pick up a piece of cork and make a gasket for it, you can get 1 foot by 1 foot pieces of cork pretty cheap, is always good to have a sheet of it around, I end up using it on a lot of stuff, I cracked the water jacket bolt on my old mercury 9.8 and could not get new parts for it and was able to make a gasket and fix the water leak with cork.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

Glad I could help. Always good to avoid buying expensive parts if you can. LOL

Pusher

Lieutenant
Any advice on a heating setup would be appreciated.

I've considered a Mr Heater Blue Flame but I'm kind of worried about the gasses. I've also thought about electric but I can't bring myself to pay for a $1,000 honda generator and I'm guess a battery wouldn't last all night.

Thoughts on generators would be appreciated too

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Do you have any propane plumbed into the Van? If not, I would go with a Mr. Heater that can be run off portables and leave a vent open at night, during the day, it is not normally going to be a problem.

As far as generators, I would look at the HF digital inverter generator, it is a 2000 watt with a 2200 surge or the Generac 2200 digital inverter generator, I own the generac and it is a good unit, 2200 is way more than you are going to need, but they are both suitcase type units and weight in around 40 lbs so not bad to move around.

Is your van wired for 110V, I know some of the vans have a 110 system in them, but most are considered day vans, with out the wiring.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Nope, you are absolutely correct. It is a day van that the PO rigged with a HF 2,000 constant 4,000 peak converter. I ended up with an electric coleman cooler, and a tv & dvd player. I figured I'd run an ipad for the weekends to skip the drain on the battery but I'm not sure how to get around the heat/ac dilemma.

As far as a vent goes, do you just crack a window and throw a carbon monoxide sensor in there?

I'm planning on a portable AC so I have a backup in the house should the main ever go out. I wouldn't be able to get around a gnerator for that.

My younger brother is just starting as an apprentice electrician so maybe if you had some advice, he could study up on it.

I'm throwing insurance on this week and hoping to drive it all week without issues. I might start in on the sink build also.

Last edited: