A beautiful evening for a rocket launch

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
SpaceX successfully launched a Falcon 9 rocket carrying an INMARSAT payload and the launch was visible from the end of my driveway. Cool stuff! :cool:

I got a couple cell phone camera pix but the rocket was moving so fast I couldn't keep up as it hauled up through the sky, but the exhaust contrail is visible anyway! :lol:

Gotta love Florida. Dinosaurs and rocket ships! ;)

1.jpg

2.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
Gotta love Florida. Dinosaurs and rocket ships! ;)
LOL ...

SpaceX successfully launched a Falcon 9 rocket carrying an INMARSAT payload and the launch was visible from the end of my driveway...
That's so cool. I've only ever gotten to see one launch, and it was at quite a distance.

On my honeymoon the Admiral and I were in Florida (Orlando) and second or third morning I wound up ridiculously early, like 5AM. Nothing to do and no where to go, I popped on the TV and caught the news - Columbia was launching at 10:50AM. Try prying your new ("who cares about rockets") bride outta' bed at 0530 'cuz you're pretty sure you can be close enough to Kennedy to smell the rocket fuel by 10:30 - - on her honeymoon. Not.

... So, I was probably the only goon in the metro area with his biggest telephoto lens in his arsenal pointing East at 10:50 to see if he could see the smoke trail.

I did. :D

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I remember as a kid going out to the school yard to watch the Gemini and Apollo launches.

southkogs

Staff member
I remember as a kid going out to the school yard to watch the Gemini and Apollo launches.
I was such a fan of the Apollo missions. Never really got to see any of it, but I think most of the reports and science projects I did in school were Apollo based.

aspeck

Staff member
LOL ...

That's so cool. I've only ever gotten to see one launch, and it was at quite a distance.

On my honeymoon the Admiral and I were in Florida (Orlando) and second or third morning I wound up ridiculously early, like 5AM. Nothing to do and no where to go, I popped on the TV and caught the news - Columbia was launching at 10:50AM. Try prying your new ("who cares about rockets") bride outta' bed at 0530 'cuz you're pretty sure you can be close enough to Kennedy to smell the rocket fuel by 10:30 - - on her honeymoon. Not.

... So, I was probably the only goon in the metro area with his biggest telephoto lens in his arsenal pointing East at 10:50 to see if he could see the smoke trail.

I did. :D

On your honeymoon! 5AM and nothing to do ... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::eek::facepalm: Lucky for you it wasn't "to the moon" for you! I could think of a lot more fun things to do on a honeymoon that watching NASA at work ...

southkogs

Staff member
On your honeymoon! 5AM and nothing to do ... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::eek::facepalm: Lucky for you it wasn't "to the moon" for you! I could think of a lot more fun things to do on a honeymoon that watching NASA at work ...
LOL ... the admiral would probably see that from a COMPLETELY different perspective ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would love to see an actual launch. I seen this SpaceX launch on the news. They stated that it carried a double decker size bus payload into orbit. Amazing how easy that seem to be these days compared to my school days when you never knew if things were going to be okay. Those guys were extremely brave to be launched into space during those early days. :eek:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I used to see the shuttle launches on clear days and evenings from up here in J- ville ..
The flame that it produced was really cool to watch !