Forgotten checkbooks

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Anyone ever notice that when your customers come up to the lake house and want their boats that 75% of the time they have forgotten their checkbooks?

So incredibly common for me that I have ceased to be surprised.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You have got those emoji things down Pat! I am not smart enough to figure them out.🤔 I'll use that as a test and see if it posts.

I only posted that because I didn't understand what you were referencing with your statement. You have to remember, I am not the sharpest tack in the box. :facepalm:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I only posted that because I didn't understand what you were referencing with your statement. You have to remember, I am not the sharpest tack in the box. :facepalm:

Guess I was just curious to see if this, the classic "I know I owe $x amt, but I forgot my checkbook." Is a thing every where else or just here in NW lower Mi.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Guess I was just curious to see if this, the classic "I know I owe $x amt, but I forgot my checkbook." Is a thing every where else or just here in NW lower Mi.

Not owning any type business, I guess I didn't caught on.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I find it funny people act surprised when I give them a bill and stand there waiting for them to pay. They look at me like " Oh! You want me to pay now? "
I always want to ask them if they drive off without paying for their gas, or walk out of a store without paying for their goods.:facepalm:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Most people don,t wright checks anymore ... Y'all do take credit/debit cards right ?

64osby

Admiral
Get a CC swipe, set up a prepay services account or set up a PayPal account. Cash is king but most don't carry much any more.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
At the rate things are going, there soon won't be any need for cash anymore. You get paid straight to you bank account, you pay bills straight from your bank account and even pay for most everything straight from your bank account. Cash is going away. I didn't say I liked that idea, but it is what it is. And all it would take is one big screw up and nobody will be able to access their bank accounts anymore. :eek: JMHO

Tnstratofam

Commander
I take Cash, Checks, and Credit/Debit cards. However I still get the " My wife/husband has the checkbook,credit cards, " told to me on many occasions.

Funny they don't mention that when they call me in a panic because their Heat or A/C is out.

Iv'e started asking " And how will you be paying today?" When I'm taking the homeowner's information. That way at least there is a chance I will get paid when I'm finished.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I don'the take cc or debit cards...I do not want to pay the % they charge. I also am not computer literate enough to make one work especially if there were an issue. It mainly is the 3 or 4 % the processing company charges though.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I don'the take cc or debit cards...I do not want to pay the % they charge. I also am not computer literate enough to make one work especially if there were an issue. It mainly is the 3 or 4 % the processing company charges though.

That's unfortunate and I'm always surprised when someone doesn't accept credit or alternate payment methods these days. Fact is, I keep very little cash in my regular checking account because there's no benefit to it. Doesn't pay any interest. I pay everything I can with credit to get the 'flyer miles'. Once a month I load the checking account from other sources, then pay the monthly bills. You'd be wise to always inform customers right up front that you accept only cash and checks... you're the exception in this day and age. If you surprised me with that policy and I had to return at a later date to get my boat I'd be pretty p.o.'d. I'd also take my future business elsewhere. Just sayin'

My .02

Last edited:

NascarNHIS

Cadet
You have over 2000 posts on this forum, but are not computer literate . I assume you only work on antique boat with your payment system

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That's unfortunate and I'm always surprised when someone doesn't accept credit or alternate payment methods these days. Fact is, I keep very little cash in my regular checking account because there's no benefit to it. Doesn't pay any interest. I pay everything I can with credit to get the 'flyer points'. Once a month I load the checking account from other sources, then pay the monthly bills. You'd be wise to always inform customers right up front that you accept only cash and checks... you're the exception in this day and age.

My .02

You need to find a different bank if you are not receiving interest on your checking account. We get interest on both checking and savings. Not as much on the checking account, but still getting something. JMHO

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Okay, I do get a little bit, but not enough for me to keep any appreciable balance in the account. I keep my money in other places and transfer it to the 'checking account' bank as needed.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
That's unfortunate and I'm always surprised when someone doesn't accept credit or alternate payment methods these days. Fact is, I keep very little cash in my regular checking account because there's no benefit to it. Doesn't pay any interest. I pay everything I can with credit to get the 'flyer miles'. Once a month I load the checking account from other sources, then pay the monthly bills. You'd be wise to always inform customers right up front that you accept only cash and checks... you're the exception in this day and age. If you surprised me with that policy and I had to return at a later date to get my boat I'd be pretty p.o.'d. I'd also take my future business elsewhere. Just sayin'

My .02

The forgotten checkbook is amusing to me...I know all my customers and not one has ever complained about not taking cards. I also let them mail the checks and take their boats. Never been burned.

I just don't think it is fair that I have ever to pay a percentage of my profit for someone else's conveinience.

If I were to start taking them I am pretty convinced that's the only way I would be paid and then I have just taken a 4 % pay cut.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
You have over 2000 posts on this forum, but are not computer literate . I assume you only work on antique boat with your payment system

Yes, I can get to a website and type and hit post.
I find this forum stress relieving.

I can hook my laptop up and use various software to diagnose engine control systems.

But allowing a third party or a computer access to my bank account...no way. I have no idea how to protect myself.

Funny you mention the antiques...with the exception of my Chris craft which isn't really an antique being made in '47 I do not work on old stuff.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
jd, when you start taking credit cards and such, you merely increase the price to cover the usage percentages like every other place that does the same. Easy Peasy!