PSA Wakeboard Tower Theft in North Carolina

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class
This past week I have had two customers call in who have had wakeboard tower speakers stolen on High Rock Lake. Specifically Wetsounds, One set (2 rev 8's / 2 rev 10's) were taken off a consignment lot, and the other set (2 rev 10's, 1 rev 410 threesome) was stolen a day or so after the boat was put in the water right off the dock! The theives are quick, and have the tools required to remove the clamps from the bars. Typically just cutting the wires right at the tower.

Recommend changing out the factory allen bolts for something a little more exotic or removing the tower speakers when not in use.. (a pain in the butt I know) but keep an eye on your stuff and secure it!

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thieves suck. I second the idea to use a security style bolt for mounting speakers... My Rockford clamps came with these security torx bolts. Won't stop anyone dedicated but it may be just enough for the scumbags to move on to easier targets.

IMG_1239_zpsnghgs09e.jpg

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes anything different from the factory Allen key should help! And you're right if they are dedicated to taking them there is not much you can do to stop them. I would suggest two different fastener types like a reverse torx or one of the security style torx in each one. Then they would at least have to have three different tools to cover the possible fastener types. It sucks that this is even a thing.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you really want to slow them down, you could spot weld the hardware in place. Of course that means you will have a real problem if you ever want to remove them as well. But there really is not a sure way to keep anything from being stolen. You could install security cameras in inconspicuous areas so they don't know there are there. And then maybe you could caught the thieves anyway. JMHO

Stingrayaxe

Seaman
I've filled in the screw heads with JB weld putty. If they needed to be removed I grind a slot in them with a Dremel tool and use a slotted screwdriver.