old Switzer craft race boat

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
saw this in the traffic on 275 on my way to work this morning

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for sharing! Interesting - shows how much things have changed in what seems like a pretty short time. I saw a boat a lot like that (maybe that one?) at a classis boat race/show in Buffalo last summer. Unfortunately I think the phone I had those pics on went to Davey Jones locker late that summer.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
from a google search, this thing was in the 1969 Havasu World Outboard Championships

The UU23 was a 19' Switzer---The power, a pair of 125/1250 Stackers--stock driveshaft housings--super speedmasters. Horsepower?? I don't think any one knew----It was 1970 before I ran the 'Direct Charged' 1350 Stackers--no water---BP driveshaft housing--super speedmaster. Hope this helps--Gene

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Very cool. Years ago I ran into the Budweiser Hydro..........

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Awesome old boat..I love seeing those. Brings back faster times. Now, the only tunnel hulls I fly are pontoons. Getting old is a drag.

Cant believe no one scolded you for pics while steering. Wont be me.

southkogs

Staff member
Used to watch a lot of boat races on the Detroit River. While I liked the unlimiteds, the vintage boats were usually a little more interesting. Oddly, I don't think I've ever seen outboards built like that though ...

jsparks747

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We are in Oregon but have a vacation house in Washington and Chip Hanauer lives up there on his boat. Met him many times before and he is a great guy. Raced the Budweiser hydroplane for many years.

southkogs

Staff member
We are in Oregon but have a vacation house in Washington and Chip Hanauer lives up there on his boat. Met him many times before and he is a great guy. Raced the Budweiser hydroplane for many years.
... started out runnin' the Atlas Van Lines boat. Watched Chip run MANY races.

dwco5051

Commander
About 60 some years ago a neighbor of ours who was always working on old cars and had a big garage on his property would hire us young kids to hand sand frames on his latest project. One time when I was there I asked him about the wooden boat he had there covered with a tarp. He uncovered for us and I was in awe. He described it as a three point hydroplane racing boat. The thing I remember most was him telling us the motor was a V-12 Mayback (sp) from a zeppelin and was over five hundred horsepower.

The old cars he had then would be called classics today, 2 SJ Duesenbergs, and a 1937 Cord but to us kids they were just a few 15 year old cars.

jsparks747

Petty Officer 3rd Class
... started out runnin' the Atlas Van Lines boat. Watched Chip run MANY races.

Some of my favorite races to watch on YT. He has a Ranger Tug (31 I believe) and it is a joke around here that he strapped a turbine jet engine to the transom.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Wife and I helped launch and retrieve that boat, and a couple other Switzer Wings at the Antique Raceboat Regatta last summer. We were running the pit sea at the event. The owner's a great guy. He and his son take that boat all over the East Coast for various vintage racing events.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Wife and I helped launch and retrieve that boat, and a couple other Switzer Wings at the Antique Raceboat Regatta last summer. We were running the pit sea at the event. The owner's a great guy. He and his son take that boat all over the East Coast for various vintage racing events.

very cool.

I just want to hear those tuned pipes singing at 7500 RPM