Windows 10 Users

RGrew176

Commander
I found the information shown below on another forum. I followed all the steps except installing the stuff from classicshell.net. I cannot believe how much faster my new laptop is when compared to before. My new laptop was ordered with 16GB of RAM, mhy old laptop came with 8GB of ram so I assumed that my new laptop would be twice as fast. In fact it was slower performing overall. After I did what was posted it's now much faster. I am a happy laptop user now.

"Do you hate Windows 10?
The main thing that makes it slow is that it reports back to Microsoft almost constantly. Here is how to turn all that off and speed it up by quite a bit:
Click on the windows icon on the bottom left of the screen.
Click on Settings, then Privacy. Turn everything on that screen off.
In the search bar in Privacy Settings, type in Cortana.
Turn everything off in the Cortana settings.
Go back to the main Settings screen.
Type Apps in the search bar.
In the Apps page click Choose which apps can run in background.
Turn them all off.
Enjoy your much faster computer.
And to make all this easier to do and get back the look and feel of Windows 7, download and install classicshell.net
It is free and makes life with a 10 computer much less frustrating..."

I know it's always scary to do stuff to your computer but so far and it's been a couple of days since I did it I feel that it works as stated.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have been running Classic Shell for over 3 years now on an 8.1 machine and if I get a new computer, before I do anything, I will disable all the 10 junk and install Classic Shell, I don't have time for all of their crap.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
But... the ability to turn a lot of this stuff off has now been disabled by Micro$oft....

RGrew176

Commander
But... the ability to turn a lot of this stuff off has now been disabled by Micro$oft....

When I get a chance to check my laptop I will see if all the stuff I turned off is still off. All I know is it is a lot and I mean a lot faster and smoother operating.

RGrew176

Commander
I have been running Classic Shell for over 3 years now on an 8.1 machine and if I get a new computer, before I do anything, I will disable all the 10 junk and install Classic Shell, I don't have time for all of their crap.

What kind of effect does Classic Shell have on your 8.1 machine? Not sure yet if I will download it onto my 10 machine. Still considering it and would like to hear from someone who has a 10 machine to see what it does to the computer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
i would like to find the people responsible for Windows 10 and the inept IT department at work and strap them into a padded cell for days forcing them to listen to its a small world

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I guess being computer illiterate, I don't seem to have any issues with Windows 10. In fact it is like lightening fast compared to previous versions on my laptops. So I will just continue with that ignorant is bliss scenario and continue with my setup. But it works fast and flawless thus far. :noidea:

Of course my adult son has an IT degree and he was the one that set up both my wife's and mine laptops. I guess he knows his stuff because that are like magic new ones presently.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
What kind of effect does Classic Shell have on your 8.1 machine? Not sure yet if I will download it onto my 10 machine. Still considering it and would like to hear from someone who has a 10 machine to see what it does to the computer.

Makes it work like Windows 7 Pro, with a few extra perks, like the apps are still available, but you can go into the classic shell interface and really define how it boots, and how memory is managed, I have two windows 10 machines sitting here that I got when Dad passed away and will be installing Classic shell on both of them, but beings this one it working exactly like I want, I am no hurry to start using them as they are both 14 inch machines and I have become very used to a 17 inch machine

fhhuber

Lieutenant
i would like to find the people responsible for Windows 10 and the inept IT department at work and strap them into a padded cell for days forcing them to listen to its a small world

The stuff crammed in Win10 is not an error... its on purpose. Micro$oft contracted to install the spyware and provide the information to advertisers.... for their profit.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I know it was on purpose. its basically spamware and spyware all rolled into an operating system.

aspeck

Staff member
Didn't realize how much was running in the background ... took out a bunch of it, and yep, runs more efficient now ...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I'm with gm, I don't have any issues with 10, runs just fine........... Also liked 8.1 just fine too.... Never had any version of 7. Went from XP to 8.1 to 10........ Went ahead anyway and did the above....

Going to keep track and see how it affects my forum activity...........

Last edited:

bassman284

Commander
The first item on the list says "turning this off will reset your ID." What exactly does this involve?

fishrdan

Admiral
Disable Win updates from updating from your computer, to other computers on the internet. Keeps your PC from being MS's slave and tying up your internet bandwidth.

(MS's first step to Skynet..... :rolleyes:)

64osby

Admiral
Thanks for posting RGrew. Didn't load the shell, but disabled all the background apps last night.

Seems to be running faster.:joyous:

angus63

Captain
I recently received a Microsoft Surface running W10. Our Gov't IT department had all the setting above already turned off. So much for lighting a fire under this sloth...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The auto updating will keep turning the stuff you turned off, back on again. There are a bunch more items to turn off but special sleuthing software is needed, and run almost daily to keep up with MS subversives

More bad news. The latest generation of processors will not run Windows 7. So I guess I will get an i7 6800K and that will be my last CPU purchase. Whether they run 8 or 8.1 is not of concern to me. Horrible OS, awkward and ugly GUI. Might work on a touch screen but worse than useless with a rodent.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The auto updating will keep turning the stuff you turned off, back on again. There are a bunch more items to turn off but special sleuthing software is needed, and run almost daily to keep up with MS subversives

More bad news. The latest generation of processors will not run Windows 7. So I guess I will get an i7 6800K and that will be my last CPU purchase. Whether they run 8 or 8.1 is not of concern to me. Horrible OS, awkward and ugly GUI. Might work on a touch screen but worse than useless with a rodent.

I run 8.1 on my laptop using a mouse with no problems at all, long as you install the Classic Start Menu fix, it looks and acts just about the same as Win 7, I have auto updates turned off, so no worries for me.

fishrdan

Admiral
The latest generation of processors will not run Windows 7.

They will run Windows 7, but Microsoft won't Win7 update a system running the newer processors.... It's a forced adoption strategy by MS to get people onto Win10, who otherwise wouldn't. After a year of offering free Win10 and only 25% have jumped on board, MS is sweating bullets.

I updated all our PC's to Win10 just before the freebie trial ended, didn't like what I saw as i dug into it (IE: needing MS account to utilize parental controls), and went back to Win7. I don't need big brother looking into everything I do. Still have Win10 backups and cloned HDD's for when I eventually need to migrate the PC's to Win10....