JR Retiring.......

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Doesn't surprise me one bit, I figured he would after this season, he had to prove he could back in the car, now I bet he will build a new cup team in the upcoming season or two.

aspeck

Staff member
I am not surprised either ... Maybe Stewart will come out of retirement to drive a Chevy??? I am joking, but ... It will be interesting to see who replaces Jr. He hasn't had the groove for a while now and he has everything going his way. Why not retire?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
He should walk away now. I know he has commitments, but, they'll mean nothing if he's in a wheelchair.... Didn't he crash at Bristol and now this announcement????????????

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
He should walk away now. I know he has commitments, but, they'll mean nothing if he's in a wheelchair.... Didn't he crash at Bristol and now this announcement????????????

He hit the wall pretty hard yesterday and he was flustered, you could tell, like, no matter what I do.....

I believe he will stick with it through the end of the season, I don't think Carl will un-retire right now, he was scared by what happened to Jr. last year and when you get scared, you are no good as a driver anymore, I suspect Carl might be having some lasting effects from his crash in the final at Homestead last Nov.

I think we will see Bowman get the ride next year, he did quite well last year when he subbed, I don't believe Jeff will even be in a car again, I read an article a while back, where his wife was not happy he agreed to sub for Jr. last year.

I think we will see a lot of the well known drivers retiring over the next couple of seasons, Matt has got his bell rung a few times this last couple of years and there is just a new crop of drivers coming up.

It will be interesting to see.

boatman37

Lieutenant
From what I understand, Jr. told Rick Hendrick about this retirement about a month ago so not related to yesterdays crash but I'm sure that didn't help. My comment about Carl un-retiring was tongue-in-cheek but nothing would surprise me. I have heard a rumor that he would be back next year in a Penske car but not sure where I heard it now. Not sure about Bowman either although I feel he has earned it. There are quite a few good young drivers out there. It wouldn't surprise me to see Jimmie retire in the next couple of years and Kahne might not be too far behind. Wonder if Blaney would be able to be lured away from the Wood Bros./Penske? I think William Byron is too young to move up this soon and the other JRM drivers are older (unless I am forgetting one?).

I think Kenseth will be retiring after this year too. Erik Jones was signed for 1 year in the 77 car and Gibbs 'rented' him to Furniture Row so I think Gibbs has plans for Jones next year. Where will he go? My guess is the 20.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
This probably will be good for NASCAR "this year". With Jr going out, people may fill the stands to see him race for the last time. 'Dega will surely be packed..... Now next year, the stands will be ghost towns.... BTW, it won't be Carl according to the above article...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
This probably will be good for NASCAR "this year". With Jr going out, people may fill the stands to see him race for the last time. 'Dega will surely be packed..... Now next year, the stands will be ghost towns.... BTW, it won't be Carl according to the above article...

One thing that is interesting with NASCAR, they turn out to see the retiring drivers and they turn out to see the new drivers, so I would say the next couple of years might be pretty good for filling the stands.

I don't blame Jr at all, he has over a half of a billion in the bank a new wife and a life ahead of him besides running into the Wall!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Been out all day and asked the Bride what happening? She says "nothing except Dale Jr. is hanging up the helmet.

I guess wrecking yesterday knocked some sense into him. He was off too long last year and he probably has some fear of scrambling his noggin. I can't blame him.