Some information to pass along, hearing protection!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Okay,

A lot of us over the last year have been talking about the AR platform guns and unlike many guns that I have owned over the years, these darn things are loud and if you want really loud, build a pistol or a short barreled rifle, then they get obnoxious! A few shots and you ears will be ringing for the rest of the day!

:eek:

Told my wife after shooting the pistol with the 7" barrel, I have to do something, the sound is painful! She agreed and vigorously shook her head YES! So started looking around to see what is available these days, I normally just wear foam ear plugs if anything at all.

Stumbled upon a company, I had never heard of "Howard Leight" Which is a division of HoneyWell, Looked at Big "C" and then did some more looking and found out Home Depot sells the exact model I was looking at with the other store but they had the for $17 less, $42 bucks a set, they are active technology ear muffs, you can talk to each other, plug your iphone or kindle into them and listen to music, but they cut the sound when you fire a shot, and if you shoot AR's you know you may shoot a lot of shots really quick, up to 30 rounds in seconds. If you are running machine guns and bump fire guns like I do, you can empty a 30 round mag in less than 10 seconds! That is a lot of concussion in a very short time!

Well I received them this morning, so we figured we would go out and send a few rounds downrange, we ended up shooting about a 1000 rounds today and no ill effects, no ringing ears, but pure 100% pleasure.

Bottom line, if you are looking for hearing protection, I recommend them, the ones we got are called, Impact Sport, they are active, they have a volume control, you can talk to each other while wearing them but when you start shooting, it is quiet, well worth the money and after shooting about a 1000 rounds today, both my wife and I am amazed, we can still talk to each other without yelling, which is really a blessing as you get older!

So, they get a big thumbs up from us.

:peace:

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport--2

southkogs

Staff member
I have a set very similar to that (without the iPhone connection) ... noise canceling. ^^^^ He's right.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Wish they had those years ago. My ears have been ringing for 20 yes. Pulled far to many triggers.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
I don't have many regrets in life, but one of them is that I didn't do more to protect my hearing. Lots of loud rock concerts, thousands of rounds at the range and in the field, lots of time around loud machinery and equipment. Now, I do everything I can to preserve what's left.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I THINK HE SAID IT'S GONNA BE A NICE DAY IF IT DON'T RAIN!

What? PRICE TO PAY IF YOU DON'T PRAY?

My ears ring too. Just started a few years ago. I shot a .357 w/o protection. Every shot that rang changed pitch, idiot. That and cranking the car stereo extremely loud and loud bands in bars when I was younger....

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
I agree 100 percent. As cheap and comfortable as hearing protection is, there's no reason not to.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I always wear hearing protection at the range. BUT, I honestly did ruin my ears one hunting outing that was pretty much a serious permanent loss of high frequency sounds. How bad you say, I can't basically hear typical fire alarms you put in your homes if they are high pitched. I have to rely on my wife for that.

I loss my high pitch hearing from shooting my 44 cal Ruger Super Blackhawk taking a deer in a clear cut. Yes I did get the deer, but couldn't hear myself or the truck engine when driving home. And that lasted for weeks before getting any hearing back. The sides of my head were numb to the touch until hearing started to return.

So that is my sad story and a lesson learned the hard way and forever never to return again!!! And pistol shooting will cause hearing loss quicker then most any rifles. :eek:

aspeck

Staff member
Um, gm, NEVER shoot a .44Mag from INSIDE the cab of a truck (or any firearm, for that matter).

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Um, gm, NEVER shoot a .44Mag from INSIDE the cab of a truck (or any firearm, for that matter).

Not sure what your comment was about. But "I" didn't short any firearm from inside my truck. I was in a deer-stand on the clear cut at the time I shot he deer. But the 44 mag pistol is way way too loud for anybody's ears. I paid the life long lost hearing price for that stupid decision. :eek:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I once heard of a training regimen that supposedly helps with tinnitus. Something about playing some tapes with varying frequencies that trains you not to hear the ringing so much.

Has anyone else heard of it or tried it?

Sounded like it was physical therapy for the ears.

aspeck

Staff member
Not sure what your comment was about. But "I" didn't short any firearm from inside my truck. I was in a deer-stand on the clear cut at the time I shot he deer. But the 44 mag pistol is way way too loud for anybody's ears. I paid the life long lost hearing price for that stupid decision. :eek:

Just messing ... clear-cut ... deer seen driving by ... out the window ... Didn't think you would do such a thing, but it happens with regularity around here ... you can tell the poachers by the ringing in their ears! LOL!

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If they pass the hearing protection act, that would be nice.
I shoot a lot and always wear protection but sometimes start talking and then send a round forgetting the muffs are down. Did that once with my 50 bmg. Once

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Amazing with the technology we seem to be making in medical advances, hearing seems to not be moving in any real direction as to restoring hearing loss. It seems once you damage the little hairs in the ear that allows us to hear any frequencies, they are damaged for life. Odd they haven't been able to reconstruct those fine hairs to allow hearing those frequency ranges again.

64osby

Admiral
I once heard of a training regimen that supposedly helps with tinnitus. Something about playing some tapes with varying frequencies that trains you not to hear the ringing so much.

Has anyone else heard of it or tried it?

Sounded like it was physical therapy for the ears.

I have heard of it but could not find any reliable data on the results.

It sounds like a great plan but it was presented in such a way that it seemed like a scam to me.