RIP Dan Rooney

boatman37

Lieutenant
Steelers owner Dan Rooney passed away today. The Steelers were founded by his father Art Rooney. He was also the U.S. Ambassador to Ireland. Mr. Rooney is an icon here in the Pittsburgh area and was one of the most influential people in the NFL. RIP Mr. Rooney!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The Rooney family is probably the best of the NFL owners. RIP.

aspeck

Staff member
Talk about a loved and respected family. Our "local" news opened up with a 30 second weather spot, then the next 10 minutes of the news being about Dan Rooney and the Rooney family with interviews from people whose lives he touched. Commercial break, 4 minutes of weather, 5 minutes of news, then on to sports and more of the Rooneys. Finally Pirate baseball, and a recap of the news. I guess that tells you how much he was respected around here.

boatman37

Lieutenant
They said even with all of his money he still lived in the house he grew up in and often walked to the stadium and refused to have body guards with him. They also talked about how on the plane he would sit in the seat near the emergency exit that didn't recline (i never realized that seat didn't recline?). players would try to give up their seat to him so he could be more comfortable and he told the players they need the rest more than him.
he took over the team in the late 60's and took the team from a laughable joke in the 60's to an NFL powerhouse in a few short years. getting big names like Joe Greene, Franco, Bradshaw, and hiring Chuck Noll was the start of it.

about 10 years ago Dan bought out his brothers shares of the team so had full control. his son has been running the team recently so doubt there will be much change in the organization due to his death but he will be missed nonetheless.

funeral services are Tuesday. i bet they shut down half the town for this. mainly because of traffic. glad i work from home now and don't have to drive into pittsburgh any more. several former players called into the local news yesterday and said it was because of Dan Rooney that they started their charities and giving back and donating time and money. Charlie Batch, Kordell Stewart, Merill Hoge, Hines Ward and probably a few i missed, all called in and spoke about how much Dan Rooney changed their lives. they said Antonio Brown has said he will have a #84 on his jersey to honor the 84 years Mr. Rooney lived