A spring time heads up

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just giving you all a little spring time heads up. Today I was mowing some leaves and such to mulch them up. It was just outside my shop. Well as I mow leaves I go forwards and then reverse to let the mower pick up again. While as I backed up one time there was a four foot copper head snake wiggling a little. I couldn't see the head because I think it was already cut off. So I move over top it again and waited about 10 seconds. When I backed up, there wasn't a piece big enough to even see it was a snake. So you all be really careful cleaning up for spring. This snake was a mere 10 foot from my shop by the garage door. You just never know. :eek:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Yep, it's getting to be "that" time of year. I don't like spiders and snakes!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Gm just make sure ya run over all them critters before we head your way .. ;)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Gm just make sure ya run over all them critters before we head your way .. ;)

Oh you can best be sure I did run over that copper head. And I sat there for about 10 seconds or so. However, once I backed up, I couldn't find even a little tiny piece of it anymore. And I searched very well. Since everything around it was already cut down and easy to see, All I can figure out is it was chopped up so small, there wasn't anything big enough to look like a snake anymore. I hope. I do have mulching blades on the mower :eek:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Glad you found it, us here in the northern tier don't have to worry about much more than a garden or bull snake and I won't see them suckers until August, heck, I still have snow on the ground!

:D

:eek:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Glad you found it, us here in the northern tier don't have to worry about much more than a garden or bull snake and I won't see them suckers until August, heck, I still have snow on the ground!

:D

:eek:

MTboatguy, I am not on the war path to kill all snakes. But the deadly type have to go. I have grand-kids that play in the back yard and those snakes are not going to live here. Other snakes I usually run off out of the yard when I see them. But around here we have a few deadly types, Copperheads, Eastern Diamondback Rattlers, Water Moccasins and Coral snakes. I have to admit, I have only seen two rattlers and this copperhead in the yard in 30 years.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
MTboatguy, I am not on the war path to kill all snakes. But the deadly type have to go. I have grand-kids that play in the back yard and those snakes are not going to live here. Other snakes I usually run off out of the yard when I see them. But around here we have a few deadly types, Copperheads, Eastern Diamondback Rattlers, Water Moccasins and Coral snakes. I have to admit, I have only seen two rattlers and this copperhead in the yard in 30 years.

Don't bother me one bit if you are out to kill them, during late summer the .357 is on my belt with the snake loads most of the time!

DeepCMark58A

Commander
People who live in snake country are lucky the snakes don't come out till it warms up, up here in the upper midwest the deer ticks are out before the snow is done melting.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
People who live in snake country are lucky the snakes don't come out till it warms up, up here in the upper midwest the deer ticks are out before the snow is done melting.

Oh yea, ticks. I do remember them when I used to hunt. You couldn't walk in the woods anywhere without finding a few ticks attacked to you. And I also remember when I did shoot a deer, they would be crawling with ticks on their coats, but never seems to be attacked to them.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Woods? You can't even walk across the lawn w/o picking up 1/2 dozen. I get bit multiple times a year mowing lawns. Hopefully I'm building up an immunity to them.... Any tick can carry a disease.......

Ps. It's snowing......

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Woods? You can't even walk across the lawn w/o picking up 1/2 dozen. I get bit multiple times a year mowing lawns. Hopefully I'm building up an immunity to them.... Any tick can carry a disease.......

Ps. It's snowing......

Snowing? I only wish we had cooler weather. It is getting hot way too early around here already. We already had hit 90 degrees. :facepalm:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Never seen a rattler that large ever, even in the wild. But even that size would get pureed with a mower. Especially with mulching blades. :eek:

That was from the wild....

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Oh you can best be sure I did run over that copper head. And I sat there for about 10 seconds or so. However, once I backed up, I couldn't find even a little tiny piece of it anymore. And I searched very well. Since everything around it was already cut down and easy to see, All I can figure out is it was chopped up so small, there wasn't anything big enough to look like a snake anymore. I hope. I do have mulching blades on the mower :eek:

Maybe it wrapped itself around the shaft and is now in your garage (typing from phone please insert proper emoticon).

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Snowing? I only wish we had cooler weather. It is getting hot way too early around here already. We already had hit 90 degrees. :facepalm:

We didn't even hit 40 today. 60s Sat and back to the 40s next week....:frusty:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral

I agree w/ WIMUSKY, you should not be able to deceptively brag about your nice spring weather.

When it gets so hot down there that opening your door is like sticking your head in a bag of microwave popcorn we will not have any sympathy!

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
One of the first things I bought when we moved to the country was a cheap 410 pump and two boxes of shells (6). It stays in the garage loaded and ready. Ducks and turkeys are laying; and I'm looking! Works good on turtles in the pond Too!.

Pusher

Lieutenant
No thank you! I use to say "that's why I live in Washington" then I moved to the Eastern side of the state šŸ˜±šŸ˜« Creepy like buggers.