Rant about ignorant drivers

boatman37

Lieutenant
I'm pretty easy going but ignorant, inconsiderate drivers make my blood boil. Tonight I was on my way home and we have an intersection where there are 2 northbound lanes. The left lane is for going straight and the right lane for turning right. A guy pulls up behind me in the left lane as I was going straight. After a few seconds he pulls out and up beside me in the right lane. You are allowed to turn right on red but he doesn't turn, which clues me in that he is going to go straight and cut me off. I edge up slightly and he does the same. The light changes and he takes off and cuts me off as there is only 1 lane on the other side of the intersection. I laid on my horn (a Subaru doesn't have the most manly horn BTW...lol). He stuck his hand out the window and waved. I was throwing hand gestures and he kept checking his mirror. We got to the next light and I pulled right up on his bumper hoping he would get out of his car but he drove off. I have no problem with somebody not familiar with the area and accidentally getting in the wrong lane. I will let them in every time. But there is no left turn so you know the left lane is for going straight and the fact that he was already behind me tells me he knew where he was supposed to be.

Another thing that irritates me is when there is a convenience store on the corner (or any business with and entrance/exit on each side) and drivers don't want to wait for the light so cut through the lot. I have seen cars flying through these lots at about 20-30MPH with people and kids walking through the lot. What did they save, maybe 30 seconds?

We live 2 houses from an alley. There is a Catholic school that holds CCD classes on Monday and Wednesday evenings. The alley next to our neighbor intersects with the alley that goes behind our house (where our driveway goes into our garage). There are no stop signs in the alley either way but common sense would tell you to slow down and look. In this case there are 2 garages and a house just feet from the intersection so you really need to stop to look, slowing down isn't enough. There have been 2 accidents in this alley in the last 10 years or so. One actually pushed a car into the house and broke out the basement wall. Each Monday and Wednesday night cars fly down this alley. I don't think ANY stop but some will slow down. The majority (probably 95%) go through this intersection at speeds between 20 and maybe 40-50MPH. There are kids all through our neighborhood and many ride there bikes in this alley. I have motioned for cars to slow down when I am out there and see it but I have thought about laying a 2x4 in the middle of the alley to act as a speed bump. I completely understand the liability issues here but it is better than an ignorant driver hitting a kid at 40MPH in this alley. We have new neighbors n each side of this alley now and both have young kids so we will see how they handle it this summer.

Ok. Off my soapbox now. Just had to vent a little after tonights incident

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You really need to complain to your mayor and councilman. Only they can get the wheels turning for law enforcement and/or traffic signs.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
As to the kids in the alley, maybe suggest to the parents that they get some of those bright colored "kids at play" signage to put at either end. Might at least get drivers to keep their eyes out.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
With the ever increasing numbers of drivers on the roads, you will always have some that couldn't care less about anybody else but themselves. It is just the law of probabilities. I see so many folks stopped at led lights either at the front, or a few vehicles behind. And when the light turns green, everybody leaves but them. Why? because they are texting on their phones and not paying attention to the roads or lights. That's when I wish I had a cell phone scrambler to use. I hate people that use their cell phones and texting instead of watching the road. My life depends on what other drivers are doing too many time. JMHO