Drone TV

alldodge

Staff member
Still researching DTV signal, and thought of something. Is there a drone made which can pick up maybe 20 pounds. My thought is if a drone could pick up a large high gain antenna and about 70 feet of RG6 cable. Get it to pick up the antenna and then see how high it has to go to get reception, if possible. Still might not get reception, but don't want to build a tower and then find out it was of no help

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There is probably somebody in your area that could do that for you. But you could also inquire to see if a tower type setup would yield more channels before getting to invested. Somebody in your area may have those answers. :noidea:

alldodge

Staff member
Probably answered my own question. Transmission antenna is 1400 feet above sea level, I'm 920 feet above sea level. With the curvature of the earth I should be able to get it, but its 65 miles away and 50 miles is about the limit

southkogs

Staff member
THIS one is about the biggest I know of, and it'll take around 26lbs up. The DJI heavy lifter I think is closer to an 18lb payload. They're pricey though ... might have hard time finding someone who has one that big.

alldodge

Staff member
There is probably somebody in your area that could do that for you. But you could also inquire to see if a tower type setup would yield more channels before getting to invested. Somebody in your area may have those answers. :noidea:

AGree, but been digging into this for a long time, and still not coming up with anything that will help so far

alldodge

Staff member
THIS one is about the biggest I know of, and it'll take around 26lbs up. The DJI heavy lifter I think is closer to an 18lb payload. They're pricey though ... might have hard time finding someone who has one that big.

Might cost less to build a tower and use it for a search light, then but a drone. I'm fighting an un winnable fight, but have to keep trying. Have sent letters to congress along the line of rural folks need weather info. Many don't watch TV because they cannot afford it. I can but would sure like to loose cable/satellite. Have mentioned repeaters, and wonder what it would take to set some up?

southkogs

Staff member
Not sure. Assuming you're talking about a privately owned repeater, you've got two bands to deal with VHF and UHF, and then you have FCC regulations too.

What kind of internet connectivity do you have? Might be worth it set yourself up to stream.

64osby

Admiral
TVfool,com can tell you signal strength, distance and direction. I built an antenna an can get station from 50 miles away very reliably. If I moved it out from under the eve there might be more.

There are some great sites where guys are pulling in stations from 80 -90 miles away with a homemade antenna with reflectors attached.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

alldodge

Staff member
There are listing of 80 and 100+ mile antennas, but with digging into them further, its mostly smoke and mirrors. The digital signal just doesn't travel that far like analog did.

The repeaters I'm thinking of would require them being located on another's land, or using a cell tower. From my reading it wouldn't take much to do it, other then the rent. Also agree there are the FCC transmission license which could be necessary. There was a town which installed one and it went to court but so far nothing has happened. The power necessary to push it out another 20 or 30 miles is not much from what I understand.

I do have a 66 foot manlift, and antenna is about 35 feet up now.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
so you have a manlift..... add a 16' 2x4 and a few ratchet straps and you can see if 75-80' would be enough

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I have been known to be so close to the trees to have bark up my nose as well......LOL

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Was there another thread discussing this? What are the actual requirements or what are you trying to accomplish?

I ROUTINELY pull in stations that are 40+ miles away and I'm using CHEAP antennas INSIDE a two-story house. I'm sure I could EASILY pull in something with a roof-top/chimney mount and a decent directional antenna.

But to address your original question about the drone...

If it was to try that, I would build a custom antenna. You could use very thin (lightweight) wire for the tines and glass fiber tubing for the frame. Then use TWINLEAD to get from the antenna to the ground for the test. It is lighter and has less signal loss, even if you have to use a balun.

Also, when considering a tower-mounted antenna for distant signals, factor in a preamp to overcome the cable and splitter loss getting to the tv receivers.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I remember back in the CB craze days, we routinely installed very tall CB antennas on top of telescopic antenna poles. You attached cables to the section ring and slide it up for the next section and repeat. And once all the cables were tied down, you couldn't move that antenna pole even a millimeter. If you had the guts, you could climb them they were so solid. Just another idea to bound around. :noidea;

Scott Danforth

Staff member
back in the CB craze days some of us had 150' of tower and a hopped up home station broadcasting from Two Rivers WI to Travers City Michigan thru a 150 watt linear until the little grey van with the directional antenna and a sheriff cruiser was parked outside the door and two people were ringing the bell :facepalm:

Dad didnt know whether to be proud or punish me.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
back in the CB craze days some of us had 150' of tower and a hopped up home station broadcasting from Two Rivers WI to Travers City Michigan thru a 150 watt linear until the little grey van with the directional antenna and a sheriff cruiser was parked outside the door and two people were ringing the bell :facepalm:

Dad didnt know whether to be proud or punish me.

Yea, my brother literally burn up a lot of mobile antennas with his 1KW linear. I mean literally burnt them up. I admit to tweaked even one I owned but never run any linear.

alldodge

Staff member
Oh the CB years, the liner, tower, browning golden eagle MK3 and Moonraker 4 antenna, the KTK3490 hill top control, those were different years. Nearby TV's didn't stand a chance :D

That said, yes there were other threads but different variations on the topic. I'm about 65 miles from the stations and digital TV is mainly good for 50.

I'm going to try the manlift and pole idea.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
We rab a moonraker on top the tower. Had to rebuild it a few times due to wind damage. Tower was done when a guy wire snap in 80mph winds. And had the tower crash over the house. Sending the moonraker thru the garage