Shorter NFL Games?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It's why I never watch an NFL game unless I record it first or start recording and then start watching at half time. It pretty much takes half the time to watch it that way. The 30 second fast forward button was a great invention.

BTW, the 5 minutes was just getting rid of the commercial after a kickoff.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That's what I do with NASCAR, if I'm interested. DVR it and skip thru a lot of the boring parts of the race, which at the 1.5 mile tracks is most of it. 1/2 the field is usually lapped at least once and further back are multiple laps behind. I'd like to see them shorten the races too....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I think they could attract a bunch of viewers if they selected one game a week with ZERO commercials....just put a small advertisement in the corner occasionally like they do for soccer matches. Would help people going to those games too. Maybe do that for Thursday night games if they decide to keep them.

thumpar

Admiral
A month or 2 ago I read something about the NFL ratings going down and shortening the games was brought up as a way to solve that. The problem is that the ratings are not going down because of the length of the game. People already make the game the length they want it with DVR's so if anything the ratings would be going up if that was the reason because more people have them. It is the stupid rules and penalties. NASCAR is having the same kind of problems. It is not the length of the races it is the stupid rule changes and phantom cautions.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think they could attract a bunch of viewers if they selected one game a week with ZERO commercials....just put a small advertisement in the corner occasionally like they do for soccer matches. Would help people going to those games too. Maybe do that for Thursday night games if they decide to keep them.

Blasphemy! Oh wait - They can sign on a new official league sponsor to make up the shortfall.

Preparation H, the official butt cream of the NFL.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
I thought you were saying they'd shorten the game to 5 minutes :laugh:

I was on a business trip to Denmark, and on Wednesday at midnight they'd show the Monday Night's NFL game, but ONLY the whistle-to-whistle action (that is, none of the "downtime" between plays, halftime, injury time, not even the penalties), and no commercial breaks. That did condense the game down to a grand total of about 7 to 10 minutes.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
On the PAC12 network, they do replays where the whole game is condensed to 60 minutes. Basically snap to snap.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I went to an NFL game a few years ago and I could not believe how slow and boring it is person, largely because of all the TV timeouts. At least watching the games at home on TV there is the possibility of fast-forwarding (if the game was DVRd) or sometimes the commentary/replays make the game seem more interesting. I don't think I'd pay to go to another NFL game. Losing the commercials as you suggest might help.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Media timeouts, which is above and beyond the teams timeouts. You get that at every level including D2 college.

DayCruiser

Ensign
Yea between the celebrating, team timeouts to stop the other teams momentum and or faked injuries and commercials the NFL has lost some of its luster. The excitement builds!!! OOPs fake injury. OOPs team timeout to stop the other teams momentum. The team is driving for a score! TV timeout--are your hemorrhoids out of control then you need hiney smashing cream. Side effects may include you hiney becoming invisible . Then a ton more commericials. Honey I forgot what we were watching?