I'm ready!

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I actually changed the blades on my mower and ran it some today. Gonna have to replace the spindles and a pulley. Thank goodness Oregon makes an aftermarket replacement for the spindles. Two cost less than one John Deere.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
... actually considering mowing the lawn in February.

me too but may just wait and deal with really tall. by leaving it now it will help with weeds and if we do get the hard freeze that Leland promised we would get, the grass roots will be better served with tall grass on top.

southkogs

Staff member
^^^ LOL ... after last summer: my lawn is a disaster. It's so patchy right now it looks like something out of the California desert :) I'll take the freeze he's suggesting, but the reality is nothing short of reseeding is going to help my lawn anytime soon. But that means nothing can hurt it either!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
This tiny warm streak 30's-40's has had people breaking out the motorcycles!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
^^^ LOL ... after last summer: my lawn is a disaster. It's so patchy right now it looks like something out of the California desert :) I'll take the freeze he's suggesting, but the reality is nothing short of reseeding is going to help my lawn anytime soon. But that means nothing can hurt it either!

I've done ok since I got the crabgrass under control a couple years ago (old thread here somewhere) but I've got centipede encroaching so getting a two tone grass. Not going to fight that battle. I just mow as tall as I can, put on the back pack sprayer and walk the yard and sot kill weeds a couple times a year.

I didn't do much this fall, going to throw lime on here maybe tomorrow when we push 80 degrees.....

southkogs

Staff member
Yeah - not to hijack completely - I'm actually going to just keep it under control this year and finish some other projects. Once I get those where I want 'em, I'll decide between continuing the fescue fight or trying bermuda and start working on grass again.

Ready for the boat ... not so ready for the lawn.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah i'm thinking about selling the Deere and hiring out. A push for a few years on cost...

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
^^^ ...but the reality is nothing short of reseeding is going to help my lawn anytime soon. But that means nothing can hurt it either!

I'm with you on that. Fortunately, I can't see my lawn from the boat...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I just try to keep all the green vegetation the same length.

i was good with that until i hit 40 or so. Not sure what happened...

so - high 80 today, 26 tonight. 15 person 30th birthday party for one of the 'kids' tomorrow with a high of 47 and i've got a brush pile and 8 pallets to burn.

Any guesses on whats gonna happen?

Last edited:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I am 50 and mow about 8 acres with a walk behind 60" deck mower. I mow and fret over the pasture more than the lawn. I walk 3 miles just doing 2 strips each side of the driveway. I hate June when you have to mow every week but you have to do it if you want to keep cutting in 3rd gear.