GRRRRRR -- Or how to deal with a rogue smoke detector???

rbh

Fleet Admiral
When I was away working the wife decided to get new smoke detectors as one was beeping continuous, so the other night at 3 AM a smoke detector goes off in the porch? we do not have a smoke detector on the porch! so out of bed down the stairs trip over the cat who is freaked out open door to porch find the old replaced smoke detector next to the garbage- try and remove battery-- Not able to split the case to get at battery, step TWO drop in toilet and go back to bed.

OK next morning haul out detector thought it was dead--NOPE, this morning after putting it out side in freezing conditions it comes back to life-- it now lives in a bucket of water/ice awaiting spring or the next dump run!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like an electrical repair where a hammer is the correct tool.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sounds like one of the stories when home smoke detectors first came out and were given as Christmas gifts. More lives were saved when a burning Christmas tree triggered the alarm.

Seconding ondarvr's hammer repair. It's Hammer Time. :D

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
At 3am, i would have teminated it with extreme prejudice using a hammer

aspeck

Staff member
Target practice ... definitely target practice!

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Dam things can go nuclear on you so be cautious you can trash ,I wouldn't burn or shoot as some had minute radioactive source emitter and smoke would block . Berry the dam thing like a dead skunk as the zombie ones go off for dead batteries dirt or dust in the cheep ones , cause I ripped one out of the ceiling once only to find out it had 115v wired to it and that was off and batteries dead too ..

aspeck

Staff member
Awwww, come on, Jimbo, you have seen the exploding targets ... what is wrong with one that leaves a mushroom cloud as evidence you hit it?:laser::target:

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Awwww, come on, Jimbo, you have seen the exploding targets ... what is wrong with one that leaves a mushroom cloud as evidence you hit it?:laser::target:

It's that strange blue color that you need a high power rifle to get far enough away from , Still haven't shot my DU 50 cal explosive tracer rounds .I been saving in case Camp Perry send em out to West Sister while in the boat its well beyond the buoys but can lobe um back .When them alarm FU I forgot you can deep 6 em Japs say its safe .