Say Goodnight Gracie ...

southkogs

Staff member
Several of y'all out there have lost pets over the last year or so. Each time I mentioned that day was coming for me ... so I thought I'd let you know it came.

Our Golden Grace died naturally (thank you God that I didn't have to put her down) this week. It was a reasonably short and gentle passing for a dear companion for our family. Nothing tragic - she was 12, and was able to swim and play all last year. Only in the last couple of weeks was she having real trouble moving and hanging with the crowd day in and out.

She was a true "water dog" ... I called her my "geriatric aqua-path" ... and loved being overboard. Even last year in her old age she could swim as long as the younger dogs, though she was a wet rag when we hauled her back on board. Since she was a pup, she loved swimming and was fun to play with both on the boat and from shore when we're up north.

waterdog_UPLD.jpg

All went as well as you could ask, and we were able to be with her to the final moments. But we'd been kinda' getting ready for it over the past year or so as she has been aging, so while we're all sad it's not overwhelming.

God gave us a great pal, and took her back gently. Goodnight Gracie!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Sorry about Gracie ... She sounds like she was a wonderful part of your family ..

sam60

Captain
So sorry for your loss Kogs. Pets are family and it hurts so much to lose them.

southkogs

Staff member
Thanks y'all. The biggest "miss" I've had in the past few days is that she was the cheerleader when I'd get home. She had a funny habit of raising her hackles when she got really excited (we called it "smiling"), and her tail was a force to be reckoned with when it got going - and when I'd walk in the door she'd be "wagging for the fences" and "smiling" like crazy. That's been the one part that's left a little empty.

Conversely - the lab has been on his best behavior. He watched us wrap up the body and take it outside, and I'm pretty positive he was thinking, "oh man ... they're gonna' do me next ... " :faint2:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh, so sorry about your family member loss. I know all too well how it feels losing such a companion. It takes the wind out of your sail. Just remember the good times you've shared and take it one day at a time. :sorry:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Kog, as you you can see by my avatar, the Golden's in my life have been special friends, when I lost my last one, it broke my heart, so believe me, I really know what you are going through and I am sorry, loosing your buddy has brought the pain back of loosing mine.

It is tough, but remember those eyes, they always had that expression that never questioned and always just love ya!

You have my deepest sympathy!

southkogs

Staff member
Thanks guys:

Kog, as you you can see by my avatar, the Golden's in my life have been special friends ...
They're great dogs, aren't they? Gracie was the second that our family has had. Haley was our first - and she was the most obedient dog I've every known. I grew up with one that my folks got as a puppy, and Phoenix died just after I got married. My grandparents had several that I didn't know (Girl, Glory and Tuck #1), but Tuck #2 was a great dog who I remember very well. They're so easy to train, and so eager to please.

We're trying a lab now. I've never had one before, but he's a pretty good guy. A little more "sawdust in the noggin" on him, but he's training reasonably easy.

dozerII

Admiral
I'm feeling for you Kogs, lost one of my companions a couple years ago and my Boston is 13 and we know the time is coming soon. They are the best friends ever, and real tough to loose.

southkogs

Staff member
... my Boston is 13 and we know the time is coming soon.
Man, that's the hard part. Waiting out what you know is inevitable. You love 'em - don't want them to hurt or be incapacitated and anything bad - but it's a such a hard thing to lose them that you really don't want to let go either. I was fortunate that she was well enough to enjoy some time together. We made sure she could go swimming, spend some time outside that she liked - that sort of thing. It wasn't until the last few days that she couldn't move and we were reduced to just hanging out on the floor nose to nose for a while.

Like with anything you love: make the most of the time you have, y'know?