Co-worker passed away last night

boatman37

Lieutenant
Well we work remotely so I have never met him in person. I work 4 10's and am off Fridays. Logged in this morning to see an email from him (sent to myself and the other team lead) from early Friday morning saying he had been having severe chest pains and was going to try to get to the doctor. The point of his email was that he wanted to let us know if he disappeared for awhile we would know where he was. So I replied back first thing this morning telling him thanks for letting us know and to do what he had to do and we would take care of the details when he got back and wished him well and told him I hoped all was well. 5 minutes after I sent that another co-worker sent out the email saying he passed away last night. She lived near him and had known him for several years. Very sad. Just sitting here and it seems even more sad since I had sent him an email this morning. Just seems different. Dunno...

alldodge

Staff member
Never had that exact situation happen but have lost several co-workers over the years. You never know when its your time. Always try to enjoy the short time were hear

southkogs

Staff member
It's very tangible when it's that close. Makes a momentary impact that you wouldn't expect, and then changes your perspective.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss - for you and the family.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Certainly sorry for your loss.

I too have had close coworkers pass away when I was still working. And in a way it is nearly as bad as a family member passing, and in some instances, even worst. Because you work with them daily and know so much about them and their lives.

I had a close coworker, that was easily twice my age, that one week another coworker's mother passed away, and he was a pall bearer for that funeral. Then the next week he passed away unexpectedly from a massif heart attach. His loss was pretty hard for me to take.

:sorry:

boatman37

Lieutenant
Thanks guys. It is tough. I didn't know him that well but it still affected our team and our morale. A few of the members were out yesterday so they just found out this morning so kind of re-living it again today. Our one team member has known him for a long time and got him the job here so she is taking it much harder than the rest of us.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I feel for ya boatman, I can relate....

When I worked in management in a DP dept. I had one guy pass away from a heart attack, another called me at home late one evening and said he was in his garage with the car running and doors shut and another who I worked for many years in the lawn business who called to tell me we would never talk again because she was dying. What does a guy say to her about that, or the guy who's attempting suicide....... I still work and am good friends with her family.....

We never now what the next 10 minutes will bring for any of us......