Dash Cam Footage From Down Under

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Not surprising ..
There driving on the wrong side of the road !

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
5:17 - I was watching the guy checking air pressure, waiting for someone to hit his car, but then realized the real action was in the background and had to play it back. :laugh:

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
Not meaning to hijack the thread here, but does anyone have a dash cam? I know that they make for entertaining videos but has anyone ever had them come in handy in documenting an accident. My friends wife was recently involved in an accident that turned into a she said/he said deal and it got me to thinking about getting one.

RGrew176

Commander
I have one. I got one just in case something happens. A friend of mine has one. One day he was pulled over by the local cops and he was issued a ticket saying he ran the red light. He said nothing accepted the ticket. He went home hooked the dash cam up to his computer and played the recording. He then said he would contest the ticket. He waited for his court date.

When he went to court it was the usual system. The judge had the police officer testify as to what happened to cause him to issue the ticket. My friend then asked the judge if he could play the video from his dash cam. He has a Garmin, in fact I bought the same model. The video has the date, time, speed and GPS location of where he was. The video clearly showed that the light was still green as he passed underneath it. His ticket was tossed out.

The judge then admonished the officer to make sure the next time he issues a ticket for running a red light to make sure that the light was red and not to waste the courts time. Owning a dash cam has more positive benefits I think than negative ones.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
What model dash cameras are you all looking at or getting? And if you do have one, is it facing forward or rearward. Seem there are as many rear end issues as forward issues these days. So maybe two setups?

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is it still a dash cam when it's on a motorcycle? :lol:

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Black Vue in my truck. It has two cameras, one forward and one rearward. So far it hasn't been called on for anything serious. However, a couple years ago somebody drove up my private driveway and backed into my Lincoln, causing over $3000.00 damage. They left their car and later claimed it was stolen. Their insurance refused to pay so I had to use mine and pay $250.00 out of my pocket. If I had a cam in the car, it would have recorded the liars.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have a Black Vue in my truck. It has two cameras, one forward and one rearward. So far it hasn't been called on for anything serious. However, a couple years ago somebody drove up my private driveway and backed into my Lincoln, causing over $3000.00 damage. They left their car and later claimed it was stolen. Their insurance refused to pay so I had to use mine and pay $250.00 out of my pocket. If I had a cam in the car, it would have recorded the liars.

Well if I had that happen, I think I would have claimed the car as well as mine. I mean if they made you pay for your own damages, the car would have become mine until somebody paid for it back. :noidea:

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Well if I had that happen, I think I would have claimed the car as well as mine. I mean if they made you pay for your own damages, the car would have become mine until somebody paid for it back. :noidea:

I learned a lot from this experience because of all the mistakes I made. My first mistake was thinking that people are basically honest and want to do the right thing. The first thing I did when I found the abandoned car in my driveway was call the police. He called a tow company to come get the car. As the tow truck was hooking up, the owner of the car came walking up my driveway, saw what was going on and turned around. I pointed him out to the police who went to question him. When asked if he was <name> he answered "no" he was the brother. When asked why he was walking through the area, he said he was walking to the store (in the snow). The nearest store is over 10 miles away. The cop let him go on, and he apparently went home and called in that his car had been stolen. When the cop went to his house that's the story the owner stuck with.
Lesson: if you are ever in a wreck, run away and call in that your car has been stolen. Unless they can find an eye witness that can/will identify you, you are off scott free.
Lesson: when somebody from the other insurance company comes to talk to you about your claim. Don't. They are not there to help you. They are there to find a way to deny the claim. Give all evidence to your insurance company or attorney and direct the investigator to them. Do not let the investigator interview you.
Lesson: when somebody trespasses on your property, you have the right to charge them various fees to get their property back.
The list goes on, but yep, you are absolutely right. :thumb:

:focus: Sorry for the hijack!

Word of warning from someone with experience get a dash cam! I cannot tell you how many times I have been in situations where I wish I had video proof to back up my claims! The nerve of some people! Sometimes you have to blame it on inexperience, but other times, people are just mean. Anytime I have ever been involved in a boating accident I always hire a lawyer from Oatley Vigmond Law Firm. They're great and they understanding boating laws better than anyone I have ever seen!