Private schools?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
it costs roughly $1,200 per child per year ... .................. Is it worth the cost?
I don't think so,

AND, It won't be $1200 per year. It will be $1200 + whatever your property tax (portion designated for schools) is per year, unless you can get a "Voucher".

My wife and I didn't elect to send our 2 girls to a private (K-12) school but we did CLOSELY follow what was going on in our public schools and we closely participated......PLUS, BOTH did "Running-Start" with the oldest doing 2 years and getting an AA in the last 2 years of high-school. She is getting a Masters degree now (and she's paying for it).

My youngest did 1 year of Running-Start and graduated from a good local state college a year and a half ago.

(and, of course, we're STILL paying for the public schools in our state)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I don't think so,

AND, It won't be $1200 per year. It will be $1200 + whatever your property tax (portion designated for schools) is per year, unless you can get a "Voucher".

My wife and I didn't elect to send our 2 girls to a private (K-12) school but we did CLOSELY follow what was going on in our public schools and we closely participated......PLUS, BOTH did "Running-Start" with the oldest doing 2 years and getting an AA in the last 2 years of high-school. She is getting a Masters degree now (and she's paying for it).

My youngest did 1 year of Running-Start and graduated from a good local state college a year and a half ago.

(and, of course, we're STILL paying for the public schools in our state)
What is running start? Never heard of that...

Pusher

Lieutenant
... As far as homeschooling, I was homeschooled for several years and loved it, and I've never been told I'm socially incompetent šŸ˜ I actually think it improved my ability to learn things on my own and be more observant, but I realize it differs with every child... The only reason we might consider it some day is because there are several families in our church group who homeschool and have had great success doing so. I actually think their children participate in social and sports functions with the private school...

I agree. I was homeschooled and although it's difficult trying to communicate with "Gen Y's" sometimes because they're so shallow and not that well rounded, I don't see many other issues. People are always surprised when I tell them I was homeschooled. The reason homeschoolers have a bad rep is because if their parents.

I personally hold two college degrees, received two free years of college through running start, and hold multiple certificates the best of which is the boaters :)

Btw, running start is two years if free college for kids under ... 20?... Who don't hold highschool degrees. The idea is that some think we need two years to catch up with highschool educations so we should get two free years to do so... Or so that was my take on it.

I've actually told single moms in highschool to drop out the last day so they could get a free AA degree (and a highschool diploma because of it).

Last edited by a moderator:

Pusher

Lieutenant
My observation on home schooled kids is not particularly good. We have some friends who did this and also have had to deal with some home schooled kids working summer jobs. A lot of these kids are not particularly well socialized and often have trouble with authority, as in not wanting to do jobs the way they are instructed to do them and having trouble with boundaries. Also, most home schools don't really have someone qualified to adequately teach higher level math and science classes.

My mom used satelite classes from greenville SC for us after about 9th grade for this reason. A lot of parents either burn out or just don't care about their kids education...much like public school parents.

You have to appreciate teachers who care! I couldn't do it.

I think a big difference between public school and homeschool as seen by my peers in college was that homeschoolers often have to teach themselves whereas public teachers (as I'm told) and college teachers regurgitate what's in the assigned reading or just ramble about their previous careers, recounting the glory days.

The biggest hurdle for me was going from self teaching to having some under-educated minimum wager tell me what to do. I quickly found out job responsibility was just a nice way of saying who gets the blame. Seems the crew gets mighty cranky when the boat gets rocked. Too bad that's how most inventions were discovered.

I know plenty of public schoolers who are much smarter than me to be sure, but if I try talking ethics, religion or politics with them... Forget it! I had to delete Facebook because the dweebs couldn't communicate what they internalized. Heck, I was once corrected for "missing" a comma at another job. When I informed the person the rule had changed they pretty much glared at me and said to do it their way anyway. That's cool I guess... If you want to be consistently wrong.

I think it's like tin Vs. glass or when you buy a new car then see your model everywhere. There are potential flaws with each. Some people become more aware of the flaws though, becase they're seeking them out.

I'd wager a guess that these summer jobs entail minimum wage and you get homeschoolers with no references or work experience working the job because public schoolers aren't willing to do the job and they have a better network.

I believe it's only for summer classes, but you could see if you can get a tax credit for dependent care.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
What is running start? Never heard of that...

Sorry about that! "Running Start" is a Washington State term I suppose.

The best definition is Wa States own description.
Running Start is intended to provide students a program option consisting of attendance at certain institutions of higher education and the simultaneous earning of high school and college/university credit. Running Start was initiated by the Legislature as a component of the 1990 parent and student Learning by Choice Law.

Students in grades 11 and 12 are allowed to take college courses at Washington?s community and technical colleges, and at Central Washington University, Eastern Washington University, Washington State University, and Northwest Indian College.

Running Start Students and their families do not pay tuition, but they do pay college fees and buy their own books, as well as provide their own transportation. Students receive both high school and college credit for these classes and therefore accelerate their progress through the education system. The exercise of that right is subject only to minimal eligibility and procedural requirements, which are spelled out, in state administrative rules. See RCW 28A.600.300 for more information.

I would be willing to bet that many states have similar programs with different names......

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Sorry about that! "Running Start" is a Washington State term I suppose.

The best definition is Wa States own description.

I would be willing to bet that many states have similar programs with different names......

Oh, sure. Dual-credit courses or advanced placement courses are what I've heard. As a parent of a several college students, I appreciate the attraction, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of high school students trying to knock off college credits. I suppose that's a matter for a separate thread, though. Don't mean to hijack this one...

Thanks for clarifying!

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'd wager a guess that these summer jobs entail minimum wage and you get homeschoolers with no references or work experience working the job because public schoolers aren't willing to do the job and they have a better network.
Some of the jobs were minimum wage but not all. One paid quite nicely but had a fair amount of responsibility and certain tasks that needed to be completed in a timely manner. My 2 older daughters always had jobs in the summer but hardly any of their friends did. Its hard to get kids to do any work now that everyone is special. There is a lot that can be learned from an entry level summer job and minimum wage is about right for most of them. My first job was like that and you get a nice feeling of accomplishment when you earn your first raise.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Very true drrpm! McDonald's for me. I learned a lot from that job.

Btw, I think I might have come across wrong up above. I am enthusiastic about what my mom did for me, but that enthusiasm might have come across the wrong way. If so, my apologies.

Hope you figure out what's best for you Brian. I did read through IRS PUB 503 (which the IRS issues but doesn't have to follow) and it sounds like school doesn't qualify as dependent care expenses for the credit. My mistake. I think I was remembering that those private schools sometimes offer after-school care which would be (I think, haha).

jkust

Rear Admiral
In a slightly different direction, my niece went to private school up through 8th grade. She was a soccer player and she was supposed to be the 'good' player on the team. 9th grade rolled around and private school ended and you are forced into the public school system. We still use this analogy to this day but my niece got a quick lesson in being coddled and cloistered as she was by far and away, and away some more the absolutely worst soccer player in 9th grade whereby she believed she was super fantastic because her reference group of private school kids was so tremendously bad but they didn't know enough to realize it.
The public school kids families spent tons of money on private lessons and off season clinics. It was like watching Kramer beat up ten year olds in the dojo.