Private schools?

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
So we have our first child in kindergarten at the local public school , which I think is a good school, and she's coming along great and likes school so far, but my wife wants to send her to a local private school.
I think the private school is a better school , they really focus on discipline, character, and education.. I've talked to a few people that have their children go there and they really brag on it, but but it costs roughly $1,200 per child per year ... Have any of you guys had your children go to private school? Is it worth the cost?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
As with anything there is good and there is not so good. $1200.00 per year is pretty inexpensive.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
$1200 a year is cheap, I spend a heck of a lot more than that for my kids and that was almost 20 years ago!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Yes, I paid more than that 20 years ago too. As said, some are better than others.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It will almost guarantee acceptance to a good University, even with mediocre grades.

tpenfield

Staff member
Is that a Charter school or a traditional private school?

Around these parts, private schools are $20,000/year and up. . . like sending your kid to college for 12-16 years :facepalm:

A lot depends on your personal preference, the quality of the public schools in your area, and your child's (children's) specific needs or situation. Social aspects are a big factor. Does your child need more from the educational experience than what the public school can offer?

I know some families that send 1 or 2 of their kids to private school and the other(s) to public school, because that what suited each child the best. I know other families that automatically send their kids to private schools, because they can afford it.

We sent our kids to our public schools, because they are as good, if not better, than the private schools in our area as far as academics and college potential.

Last edited:

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's just a traditional private school... Wow I guess I didn't realize how much private schooling costs, but according to you guys this one is pretty cheap... Our public school is no doubt a good school, with most of the students from respectable families , but I would still say the private school is better... You guys kinda talked me into itšŸ˜€ thanks for the advice

southkogs

Staff member
We split the difference and homeschooled. Loved it. Last one of three graduates next year.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
We did a combination of public, private and home schooled, just did what was needed (or we could afford) at the time for each child.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I believe a child can get a fine education in a public school IF the parents are activly involved in the educational process. Public schools offer college prep classes, here in Minnesota if a student has achieved the graduation requirements students can take college courses while still in high school without paying tuition. Private schools typically do not pay teachers as well as public schools, if you are a high achieving teacher where would you go to work?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Running start (college classes for high school students) is available in most locations, we took advantage of it. As for which type of school is better, there are far too many variables to say, there are good and bad of all types, so you need to research your local options.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
We send our three kids to parochial school through sixth grade. That was the highest grade the school offered. Wouldn't trade it for anything. There are some pluses and minuses to a private school (based on our experience):

Pluses:
Got a great education!
There was a much better atmosphere in the school than in many publics; students and teachers were very respectful. Kids really learned good manners and to care for one another.
Communication between school and parents was very good.
Class-size tended to be a little smaller.

Minuses:
Since this was a parochial school, some of the facilities, especially in the area of science and athletics, were probably not equal to the public schools.
Smaller school means if you were kids to draw from. Everybody got to play, but fewer championships were won.
Because of the smaller size of the school, there were fewer resources for helping kids with behavioral or similar problems.

Overall, though it was money well spent.

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was wrong on the price... It's roughly 3,500 per child per year plus extra if they play sports... As much as we'd like to, I don't think our budget will allow that... Several families in our church group homeschool, so we may check into that

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
We have one done, one a Sr in college, one a sr in high school that will go to same State University as the others. They all go/went to the public grade schools, which are very good here. Only you know know how good the local public schools are compared to private. We're glad public/state worked out for us, and recommend that route to anyone in this area. I'm sure they got less hand-holding, but they are smart, socially skilled, and good at identifying and solving problems encountered in life. But if local public schools did not have a good reputation, we would've looked more closely at private, and tried to find a way to pay (and would not have a boat today)

southkogs

Staff member
Several families in our church group homeschool, so we may check into that
PM me if you want "how did ya'" and "how'd it go?" stuff.

Not as hard as some make it out to be. More difficult than just shipping 'em off on the school bus. Worked out great for us.

jkust

Rear Admiral
We very specifically chose to live next to one ot the top public elementary schools in the country so we didn't feel the need to pay for expensive private schooling and also pay enormous property taxes. That said, the folks that we know that are in private schools do it mostly for the religious aspects or because their kids had some issue or another and private school was a better fit while our home schooling friends are all Mormons.
Interestingly enough, we tried out a private school for a couple years for our youngest child's preschool. Their hope is that you continue on to kindergarden all the way up so the preschool was an absolute bargain as they make it less expensive and then raise the tuition once you start Kindergarden. We found that the school was extremely political but the education part was good. The politics came from the fact that the church was set up in the 1800's and the same families from the 1800's were still there today running things. I've heard my mormon friends defend their decision to people to homeschool their large families having no education background and it is an interesting discussion. It is a very interesting topic and a very personal decision.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
if you feel the public school is good, why not let them go there?
I have to admit your initial 1200 estimate would have been very surprising, pretty sure I spent that for public school between sports fees and fund raising LOL

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My children started in a private school. The main reason was that my wife and I felt that my oldest daughter was not quite ready for full day kindergarten and the only school in town that offered a half day program was a private school. She did well there K-8, second was there K-5 and third K-2. Over time there was increasing religious friction as the tone of the religious education trended from nondenominational to firmly Baptist. The other big factor was that our local public high school is very highly rated and has much more educational opportunity especially in math and science. Overall it was probably worthwhile for the early elementary grades especially for my oldest but we should have switched when it was time for middle school.

Here is an anecdote concerning high school. My middle daughter had a friend who attended the most expensive local private high school ($20,000/year). Those students and parents were continuously told how rigorous the classes were how they were superior to the public school. One day she saw my daughter's science book and she was incredulous that they had the same book and were being taught the same things. Where I live private school is not worth it unless your child has some particular special need.

My observation on home schooled kids is not particularly good. We have some friends who did this and also have had to deal with some home schooled kids working summer jobs. A lot of these kids are not particularly well socialized and often have trouble with authority, as in not wanting to do jobs the way they are instructed to do them and having trouble with boundaries. Also, most home schools don't really have someone qualified to adequately teach higher level math and science classes.

If you're satisfied with the public school why change?

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lots of great advice guys, and yes I feel comfortable leaving them in public school...I realize there's a big difference between private schools and also a big difference between public schools... The private school I'm talking about has a more rigorous curriculum , and although they're called a " Christian" school, they're more or less considered non denominational because there are families that send their children there that don't attend any church... The student body probably has a slightly better atmosphere than the public school, but most of the students at the public school also come from respectable families, and the school is considered one of the best public schools in our area, so I'm not too worried about that ... As far as homeschooling, I was homeschooled for several years and loved it, and I've never been told I'm socially incompetent šŸ˜ I actually think it improved my ability to learn things on my own and be more observant, but I realize it differs with every child... The only reason we might consider it some day is because there are several families in our church group who homeschool and have had great success doing so. I actually think their children participate in social and sports functions with the private school... For the time being we're staying with the public school .
Thanks again for the great advice