My Next Vehicle

jkust

Rear Admiral
Back in the day, the Shelby mustangs did the same thing........ Dad had a '72 Charger when me and my bro were kids... I'd love to have a modern Challenger.....

Hope you guys caught some of the Barrett Jackson auction over the weekend. My pops had a 70 GTO convertible with AC he got when he returned from Vietnam. Would love to have one of those. The oil shortage back in the 70's made him have to sell it. I remember him telling me the upcharge from the Tempest to the GTO was actually very little money. I like the new Mustangs but think I might go Challenger if I went two doors and American.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I rented a Mustang last year. I hated it. Maybe I am getting old but you sit too low and hood is too long. I don't like my brother's Camaro either for the same reasons.

If I was going to buy a middle age menopause car, it would be a used Porsche.

sam60

Captain
I have 2 vehicles which are driven alternately as repairs are done as/if needed.

'99 Continental is getting the transmission rebuilt by a friend. Driving the '05 Ram 3500 for now.

My wife has an Equinox that has a payment, for that reason it is our least liked vehicle.

RGrew176

Commander
I'm with ya' Rick ... been droolin' at the idea of a Mustang for a while.

Being both a fan of the Porsche and the Mustang, I actually would opt for the Mustang. I've had one in the past - and humorously, it was one of the Mustang IIs. Even that was not all that bad of a car.

At NADA last year I saw one that had a grey metallic paint job with flat black drag stripes on it. It was really pretty.

I had a Mustang II also. That really wasn't a Mustang. It was built if I remember correctly off the Pinto platform. Mine did have a V-6 but it was no muscle car. I am currently 67 and I would like to have a Mustang at least once in my life. So, it may happen.

RGrew176

Commander
Ford is making so really great power trains. I had a 1997 Mustang GT with the 4.6L SOHC. great little car, it got up and boogied. I have a Fusion Eco-Boost with AWD, I believe it's the 2.0L and puts out around 275HP...this thing flat gets it for a four-door sedan.

I hope you would opt for the 5.0L?

For 2018 the V-6 is going away. They are only offering the 2.3 Ecoboost or the upgraded 5.0. I won't own a Mustang with a 4 cylinder engine so it 5.0 or no.

RGrew176

Commander
Back in the day, the Shelby mustangs did the same thing........ Dad had a '72 Charger when me and my bro were kids... I'd love to have a modern Challenger.....

A good friend of mine from my boat club just leased I believe a Dodge Challenger Hellcat. Something like 770 HP and he is already on his 2nd set of tires. He is also a bit older than I am. He's having lots of fun with that car.

RGrew176

Commander
Ok, I've owned three Mustangs over the years. It seems all the cars I've owned were always just left of center, and never in danger of becoming collectibles. The Mustangs were:
a green 1968 convertible. I don't remember the displacement, but it was an in line six with a two speed sludge-o-matic transmission. It'd go over 100 mph, but would take 45 minutes and a tail wind to get there!
a yellow 1970. The one with super long hood and no trunk to speak of. It had a 351W and I really, really liked it. It was a Michigan car, and sitting in the parking lot one day the whole front end just kind of sank to the ground. The whole underside was pure rust. Lucky I wasn't rolling down the road when it decided to let go.
then there was the 1980 Mustang. I actually bought it brand new from a dealer in Jacksonville, Florida. It was small, and had that 2.3 liter gutless wonder. It got lousy gas mileage to boot. In 1983 the mains started knocking and I used that as an excuse to trade it in on a 1983.5 Nissan pickup.
If I could have an "oldie" muscle car, I'd go for the AMX. Again, left of center, but I always did like that car!

My brother had a AMC Javelin with a 390 engine. That car was a blast to run and run it did. I actually had an AMC Pacer that had a 305 V-8. I could stomp on it and actually smoke the tires. It was actually quite the fun car to drive.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
One of my vehicles is a 2011 v6 Mustang that I ordered from the factory. With a few bolt on parts it runs the 1/4 mile in 13.2 at 105 mph. I'm happy with it and may supercharge it in a few years. I'm on 9 Mustang Forums and this Mustang is my 5th new Mustang I have bought. 1976, 1980, 1981, 1986 and now my 2011. Maybe the 1976 was a redone Pinto, the 1964 1/2 Mustang was just a re bodied Falcon :(

southkogs

Staff member
Don't tell anyone, but I actually liked the M II Cobra's............... My street rod has an M II frontend.....
It was built if I remember correctly off the Pinto platform.

Well ... worse yet ... I had a Pinto :black_eyed: ... and I liked it :fear:​ The little 2.3L 4 banger that car had was not too bad. Wasn't a rabbit off the line, but it would top end out over 100MPH.

If I could have an "oldie" muscle car, I'd go for the AMX. Again, left of center, but I always did like that car!
The AMX was a cool set o' wheels - so was the Javelin. :cool:

southkogs

Staff member
One of my vehicles is a 2011 v6 Mustang that I ordered from the factory.
You do like your v6 Mustang! That's good to hear. I've been bopping around the idea of a Mustang, and been a little torn on the v8 vs. picking up a 6 a little cheaper. The '99 Firebird we grabbed has the 3.8L in it, and while it's not the beast I'm assuming the v8 can be it is reasonably gutsy and fun to drive.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I've always been a Mustang fan and really like the 2018. I've owned 8 Mustangs in my life, only 2 were notable. A new 1984 SVO and a new 2001 Bullitt.

But the bottom line is that they're just cars. A car is a car is a car for me, unless it's a truck! :lol:

I'm older now and my next hot rod will be a 2013 or 2014 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0 sedan. Stock with 429HP and 5 second 0-60 times. Family 4-door sedan surprise time! :eek:

Tnstratofam

Commander
I've always been a Mustang fan and really like the 2018. I've owned 8 Mustangs in my life, only 2 were notable. A new 1984 SVO and a new 2001 Bullitt.

But the bottom line is that they're just cars. A car is a car is a car for me, unless it's a truck! :lol:

I'm older now and my next hot rod will be a 2013 or 2014 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0 sedan. Stock with 429HP and 5 second 0-60 times. Family 4-door sedan surprise time! :eek:

Umm can you say Sleeper! That's pretty cool!:thumb:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well if you are talking vehicles, I have a '95 Ford Ranger Extended cap Pickup truck with a 2.3L 4 cylinder engine and five speed manual tyranny. So there. And to top that off I also have a '98 Chevy Blazer 4 door with a 4.3L engine. Yea, now I got your attention din't I.

I use to have a huge craving for a New 'Vette. But as I got older, I lost interest in most any muscle car because I don't want to have one merely sitting around for the most part. I know I won't daily drive such a car. So I lost that interest now. It would merely take up space and not get used much. I mean you just wouldn't want to drive it for groceries and have another car open their door into it. See what older age does to ya! :eek:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I love the new Vettes. Always been a Vette guy, but have yet to own one. The new ones look very stealthy. Just would have to wait a few years until they depreciate enough to afford it.....

2014-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-C7-47.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
Well if you are talking vehicles, I have a '95 Ford Ranger Extended cap Pickup truck with a 2.3L 4 cylinder engine and five speed manual tyranny. So there. And to top that off I also have a '98 Chevy Blazer 4 door with a 4.3L engine. Yea, now I got your attention din't I.

I use to have a huge craving for a New 'Vette. But as I got older, I lost interest in most any muscle car because I don't want to have one merely sitting around for the most part. I know I won't daily drive such a car. So I lost that interest now. It would merely take up space and not get used much. I mean you just wouldn't want to drive it for groceries and have another car open their door into it. See what older age does to ya! :eek:
My '04 RAM 2500 has the Hemi. It's a 2WD and honestly, drives as hot as the Firebird. For a truck it drives nice and sporty, has plenty of room and I don't groan as much getting' in an' out. :cool:

I struggle with the new Vette ... the front end is reminiscent of the older Stingrays which are my favorites. But that back end looks like Alice Cooper's makeup is melting off ...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Every Vette I have ever ridden in is a rattle trap after a few years. I get a GM employee discount and even with that I would never buy one.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
In 1984 I set out to buy a brand new 'Vette, but when I drove it I just didn't like it at all, so I ended up buying a Camaro instead. I really liked that car a lot at the time. These days if that car were available new I likely wouldn't want one.

aspeck

Staff member
Probably getting rid of my 76 Black and Gold 50th Anniversary Trans Am before fall ... daughter turns 16 and I do not want to pay for the insurance increase ...:facepalm:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Probably getting rid of my 76 Black and Gold 50th Anniversary Trans Am before fall ... daughter turns 16 and I do not want to pay for the insurance increase ...:facepalm:

Can she be excluded on the policy as a driver on the TA?? Only me and the wife are insured to drive my truck....