My Next Vehicle

Tnstratofam

Commander
I've been a Mustang guy my whole life. From my Dad's 1970 Mach1 to my own Fox Body's they have proven to be good performance platforms. The latest generation has what most enthusiasts have been begging Ford to build for years. Independent rear suspension and a drivetrain package that reminds you what an American muscle car can be.

I like the dash layout and the ability to change the digital gauge layout that's a cool feature. The dash reminds me of the 65-68 dash. Only better.

Looks like a nice upgrade from the Escape.:encouragement:

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
It's ok, but if you're going to drive a chick car, why not go ahead and just get a Porshe? :car: :D
:behindsofa:

southkogs

Staff member
I'm with ya' Rick ... been droolin' at the idea of a Mustang for a while.

Being both a fan of the Porsche and the Mustang, I actually would opt for the Mustang. I've had one in the past - and humorously, it was one of the Mustang IIs. Even that was not all that bad of a car.

At NADA last year I saw one that had a grey metallic paint job with flat black drag stripes on it. It was really pretty.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Ford is making so really great power trains. I had a 1997 Mustang GT with the 4.6L SOHC. great little car, it got up and boogied. I have a Fusion Eco-Boost with AWD, I believe it's the 2.0L and puts out around 275HP...this thing flat gets it for a four-door sedan.

I hope you would opt for the 5.0L?

jkust

Rear Admiral
You must not have kids...ha ha. My son is turning 16 in a 6 weeks and wants one of those for his first car. We were behind one the other day and he saw how the tail lights blink in sequence and thought it was cool and I just laughed. To me they are a young person's car. Cool looking but not where I would go if I was looking for two doors.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You must not have kids...ha ha. My son is turning 16 in a 6 weeks and wants one of those for his first car. We were behind one the other day and he saw how the tail lights blink in sequence and thought it was cool and I just laughed. To me they are a young person's car. Cool looking but not where I would go if I was looking for two doors.

Back in the day, the Shelby mustangs did the same thing........ Dad had a '72 Charger when me and my bro were kids... I'd love to have a modern Challenger.....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, finely some one decided to make a dash that can be customized by the owner. I was toying around with such an idea years ago and when I talked about that with other engineers, they all stated it would be too hard to do in any vehicle. Obviously not! Wonder what they are going to say when they see this?

WIMUSKY, I had a '72 Dodge Challenger with the 340 Thermo-Quad Package, with hood scoops and strobe side strips. It was a most pleasurable car to drive. But the newer ones these days are not nearly as low profile as the originals were. They tried to look like the older versions, but they sit too high in comparison. Take a closer look at the two designs.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
No doubt, gm. And the Challenger is the worst for sitting the highest and being the biggest car of the 3. The older Challengers were smaller/lower........ Still want one...:) Can't afford a good older Challenger/'Cuda. 'Cuda being the car I've always wanted since being a kid..... Actually, I'm just an older kid..... :)

southkogs

Staff member
The new Challenger is fun - bodacious enough that they have a G-meter on the dash of some of 'em. But bang for the buck, I think the Mustang still wins.

Funny for me, is anymore ANY of the older sleds of the 70s or before would be as much fun. Even the '99 Firebird I grabbed for the kids is kinda' fun with the 3.8. There's a '57 Studebaker Hawk close by that is just taunting me to go make an offer ...

jbcurt00

Staff member
If its affordable and driveable, a 1957 Hawk would be fun to own.

Now, if it'd only haul a boat:
00k0k_7TkxoYptQ0f_600x450.jpg

Not mine, but I have the same boat

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I'm with ya' Rick ... been droolin' at the idea of a Mustang for a while.

Being both a fan of the Porsche and the Mustang, I actually would opt for the Mustang. I've had one in the past - and humorously, it was one of the Mustang IIs. Even that was not all that bad of a car.

At NADA last year I saw one that had a grey metallic paint job with flat black drag stripes on it. It was really pretty.

The Mustang II coupe with a 302 in it was a monster in disguise, a few little tweaks on it and it was a screamer, back in the day, I ran one in Pro-Street and actually did quite well with it!

Talk about a car that would scare the crap out of you!

:eek:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Okay, finely some one decided to make a dash that can be customized by the owner. I was toying around with such an idea years ago and when I talked about that with other engineers, they all stated it would be too hard to do in any vehicle. Obviously not! Wonder what they are going to say when they see this?

WIMUSKY, I had a '72 Dodge Challenger with the 340 Thermo-Quad Package, with hood scoops and strobe side strips. It was a most pleasurable car to drive. But the newer ones these days are not nearly as low profile as the originals were. They tried to look like the older versions, but they sit too high in comparison. Take a closer look at the two designs.

They make suspension kits to drop the new challenger down to the original stance of the originals and it makes the car quite the road racer, they say it handles like it is on rails with the after market sport suspension.

When talking about Chrysler, there is only one engine to have and that is the original 426 hemi, I had a 66 Plymouth Satellite convert with it and that car was a death trap!

southkogs

Staff member
The Mustang II coupe with a 302 in it was a monster in disguise, a few little tweaks on it and it was a screamer, back in the day, I ran one in Pro-Street and actually did quite well with it!

Talk about a car that would scare the crap out of you!

:eek:

Buddy of mine had one with the 302 that we tweaked out like that - and you're right, that car was FAST.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
They make suspension kits to drop the new challenger down to the original stance of the originals and it makes the car quite the road racer, they say it handles like it is on rails with the after market sport suspension.

When talking about Chrysler, there is only one engine to have and that is the original 426 hemi, I had a 66 Plymouth Satellite convert with it and that car was a death trap!

I could only wish my Challenger had a 426 Hemi. But in '72, the horsepower craze was channeling downward because of insurance demands. I did drive a 383 in a Challenger, but it was either a '70 or there about.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Don't tell anyone, but I actually liked the M II Cobra's............... My street rod has an M II frontend.....

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, I've owned three Mustangs over the years. It seems all the cars I've owned were always just left of center, and never in danger of becoming collectibles. The Mustangs were:
a green 1968 convertible. I don't remember the displacement, but it was an in line six with a two speed sludge-o-matic transmission. It'd go over 100 mph, but would take 45 minutes and a tail wind to get there!
a yellow 1970. The one with super long hood and no trunk to speak of. It had a 351W and I really, really liked it. It was a Michigan car, and sitting in the parking lot one day the whole front end just kind of sank to the ground. The whole underside was pure rust. Lucky I wasn't rolling down the road when it decided to let go.
then there was the 1980 Mustang. I actually bought it brand new from a dealer in Jacksonville, Florida. It was small, and had that 2.3 liter gutless wonder. It got lousy gas mileage to boot. In 1983 the mains started knocking and I used that as an excuse to trade it in on a 1983.5 Nissan pickup.
If I could have an "oldie" muscle car, I'd go for the AMX. Again, left of center, but I always did like that car!