Looks like NASCAR is again changing things!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Fake news, MT. The REAL new system, I like it because it makes more sense!

Breaking news.

Nascar will announce that an obstacle course will be added to the center of every track where at the halfway point, every driver has to stop, run through passing car traffic, then complete the course. First place gets 10 bonus points, unless the 2nd place driver has more fans cheering, then they get 15 points. Then, the drivers have to eat an entire homemade pie (native to the track area) without using their hands. Points for not vomiting afterward. Then, the drivers have to run back to their cars, climb into the cars from the passenger side, and race to the local mini-mart and buy whatever product was last advertised on the broadcast.

GA_Boater

Wait - More breaking news because they can't let rules stand for ten minutes before making more changes;

A debris caution flag will be thrown before the end of the pie eating contest for debris on the table!

GA_Boater

Another rule change because it's been too long since the last one.

Each car will have a moonshine tank in the trunk to honor the roots of Nascar. At random times during the race a Revenuer car will pull onto the track and chase one of the competitors. This will close up the field and eliminate the need for phantom debris cautions. If the chased car is caught by the Revenuer, that car is parked for the remainder of the race and an appropriate fine with driver and owner point deductions will be made.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I like what another guy I talk to said, he was telling me it would take a lot less time, and be far more exciting to just grab a bag of skittles throw down the toilet and then flush, that way you have colors going around in circles, then the rest of your day would be free to do what ever you want or need to!

:D

:lol:

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
They threatened in the past about going to segments. Mandatory cautions. Isn't that how the All-Star race is run? Final nail in NASCARs coffin?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Isn't running segments going to make the race LONGER?

GA_Boater

I like what another guy I talk to said, he was telling me it would take a lot less time, and be far more exciting to just grab a bag of skittle throw down the toilet and then flush, that way you have color and going around in circles, then the rest of your day would be free to do what ever you want or need to!

:D

:lol:

I don't want to pick the winner! :eek:

Let's see - 10 minutes of racing with 5 minutes of dead time, repeat as necessary. Who are they trying to engage? Millennials will lose attention, not to mention old geezers like me.

GA_Boater

Isn't running segments going to make the race LONGER?

Somewhere along the line I saw they were looking at timed races like F1, X amount of time or so many laps. If cautions chew up time, less laps will run. F1 has been turned into the boringest racing in the world, with Nascar running a very close second and getting closer.

thumpar

Admiral
Some of the networks they put the races on make the race even worse. My interest has slowly gone down over about the last 5 years. Now I will just catch a race if I happen to not have anything else I could be doing. I used to try to schedule around them. I hate the chase. If they want to run a format like that they need to take all the drivers that can't win out of the race. They don't let the losing teams play in the super bowl or world series and that would make it unfair to the other teams. The chase just doesn't work in racing.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Another rule change because it's been too long since the last one.

Each car will have a moonshine tank in the trunk to honor the roots of Nascar. At random times during the race a Revenuer car will pull onto the track and chase one of the competitors. This will close up the field and eliminate the need for phantom debris cautions. If the chased car is caught by the Revenuer, that car is parked for the remainder of the race and an appropriate fine with driver and owner point deductions will be made.

I might actually watch more races if they implemented this. It'd be fun to watch the drivers scramble to get away from the revenuer man.:heh:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You don't suppose the real reason Carl left is because of these rules changes??????? He would never say it in public.....

GA_Boater

As much as I hate the races when one driver is lapping most of the field and running away, this isn't the way to fix it. The reason the runaways happen is because of the D-A rules in the first place.

I can go to Dixie Speedway to watch heat racing on Saturday night.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I wish I could go to a local race track, but our season is so short here, that they charge a fortune to get in to help cover the costs and the local talent is not very talented. Most of our races turn out to be destruction derbies more than races.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, but will they go 200 mph around a 2.5 track while kissing bumpers ... ;)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

They sure try to here, imagine Talladega on a track less than a 1/2 mile with 40 cars running over each other!

southkogs

Staff member
Went there for the first time a little over a year ago. Didn't see an actual race, but we had a few drivers running laps and doing maneuvers for a film my daughter was working with. Had never seen a dirt track race before - it was cool!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The official changes;

Points redone again. What a nightmare. Segmented racers. Championship and playoff points. Two Championships - A regular season champ and a chase champ. Participation trophies anyone? :facepalm: http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2017/1/23/new-nascar-race-format-2017-announced.html

BTW - We fans wanted this, so they say. :tsk:

Say what? How is a fan supposed to follow that mess of awarding points? Playoffs? Everyone used to pride NASCAR for being unique and not following mainstream sports.... I know Dave Moody did all the time. Now I'm sure he'll be telling us how great it will be for the sport. Flip-flop whenever the Execs make a change like NASCAR's media always does. Now this will be the greatest format since sliced bread. Just like when the COTs first came out. They'll lose fans before the season starts. What a mess......

GA_Boater

No and that's one good thing about it. Lap after lap of single file or double file droning is boring! It just makes the fans and viewers hope for the Big One to liven things up.

This new thing will be such a mess. When points are docked for infractions - Championship points or playoff points. And who is the Champion - The driver with the trophy for a 26 race series or the one for a 10 race series? A race-off to choose an overall champion, why not. :facepalm:

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity - Lets go pointing boys and girl.