Barrett Jackson Auctions on Velocity?

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Anyone else watching them? Some really nice cars going across the block.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
We've been watching. So far we like the little yellow American Bantam pickup truck best of all.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
off and on...to me the prices seem cheap on some of the 50's-60's restored cars? Like, could you even restore some for the price they're going for?

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
off and on...to me the prices seem cheap on some of the 50's-60's restored cars? Like, could you even restore some for the price they're going for?

Yeah I agree. You definitely couldn't restore those cars for he prices hey are selling for. It takes such a long time it must be expensive.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I used to be a diehard Barrett fan. The last time I watched it, it seemed to have turned into more of a circus. Less about the cars more about listening to the bidding and just the overall craziness. Then I found MECUM Auctions. They talk about the cars in depth and the bidding isn't the forefront of the show....... Also, during the 1st day of the auction there are a lot of cars for the average Joe. Lots of sub $20ks that look darn nice. Even sub $10Ks.... So I haven't watched Barrett in a few years.

As a whole, you're usually better off buying one completely restored than building one. Unless you have the talent to do a lot of work yourself. A lot of guys have way more into their cars than they could get out of them. The problem with auctions, especially Barrett, people think, "I saw a '70 Chevelle go across the block and sold for $80K. I have a '70 Chevelle so it must be worth $80K too". People are trying to get crazy prices for their cars.

I'm guessing they're at Scottsdale?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I prefer Mecum, as well. Richard Rawlings is never at a Mecum auction. :doh:

GA_Boater

B-J is also live on Discovery today from 3-8PM Eastern.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Yeah I agree. You definitely couldn't restore those cars for he prices hey are selling for. It takes such a long time it must be expensive.
Yeah, the only faster way to lose money is by restoring an old boat!! :pound::lol: :facepalm: ;) :D :heh:

robert graham

Admiral
Yep, I love Mecum and Barrett-Jackson but makes me sick to think of all the cars I've owned and now they're worth lots of $$$$.....I bought a brand new 1962 Austin Healey 3000 with 3 SU carbs for $3100, drove it a couple of years and sold it for $1800.....should have kept than one for sure, but who'd ever think the values would increase so much???

GA_Boater

Yep, I love Mecum and Barrett-Jackson but makes me sick to think of all the cars I've owned and now they're worth lots of $$$$.....I bought a brand new 1962 Austin Healey 3000 with 3 SU carbs for $3100, drove it a couple of years and sold it for $1800.....should have kept than one for sure, but who'd ever think the values would increase so much???

Don't get me started about the cars of my younger days. I become ill. :blue: