Outboard repair bench

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha whatever works for you. Do you have any issue with oil, grease and such getting into the carpet and hard to clean up? That would be my only issue. A counter top laminate would be great for such a setup. It would clean up like magic and keep everything from digging into the surface a lot better as well. But if this works well for you, then it is the best. :thumb:

BigB9k

Seaman Apprentice
Surprisingly not, the carpet isn't that bad. I've worked on 30-40 nasty engines on it.
Ill drain oil out first (of the lower or whatever) then put it on the bench.
Don't get me wrong, it needs a changing, but for 2 years of use its doing quite well.

I've thought of a laminate as well, But I'm not the strongest guy out there. I don't want to lift a 115-235 HP powerhead across a workbench. So I just slide it - I imagine the stuff would have some very deep scratches pretty quick.

The carpet just got its first tear a week ago from a broken stud.
:(

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
The cutout for holding a motor is a good idea.

I noticed you glued/screwed the 2x6s on the end grain; that's a very weak joint. Presumably you also screwed or bolted the table skirt to the legs, which would be where all the strength is. As you mentioned in the video, a single 2x6 isn't really enough for the "transom", I'd go with a built-up plywood beam across the front..