Calling all ammo reloaders

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I guess this project is about closed now. So I will post the final picture of everything.
1000 (5).JPG
I painted the actual tumbler(s) now with a Krylon hammered looking silverish finish to give it a finished coordinating look. I made two exact tumblers with the same paint finishes. So this is the final project as it looks now.

This was a lot of fun to design and build and it does the job better then I would have ever thought. Some times you just get real lucky.

1000 (6).JPG
And here is a picture of all the assorted brass I need to clean and reload yet. Yes I have full five gallon buckets of brass (three to be exact, a couple behind that you can't see in this shot)) and many cases of brass sorted out for each caliber. This is the absolute first time I have everything sorted now. That in itself is amazing for me.

That litlle small blue tumbler I have owned since I was a teenager and it still works. But obviously for only small amounts of brass.

Thanks for looking and you all have a wonderful day!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks GM, that last picture, really adds perspective on the size of the tumbling canisters you made, good job.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks GM, that last picture, really adds perspective on the size of the tumbling canisters you made, good job.

Yea MTboatguy, knowing you are an avid reloader as well, I thought you would like this project. I have priced equivalent large tumblers, and to my amazement, they stat at $500 and go up from there. But none of them have 1/2 HP motor. I think I went a little over kill there. But since the 1/4 HP, 1/3 HP and the 1/2 HP motors are basically the exact case same size, I bought the 1/2 HP version knowing it will never have any problems. Also, I got the motor new cheaper then most places are selling their 1/4 HP versions. So some times you luck up. :smile:

Have you found good places for primers and powders now?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Yea MTboatguy, knowing you are an avid reloader as well, I thought you would like this project. I have priced equivalent large tumblers, and to my amazement, they stat at $500 and go up from there. But none of them have 1/2 HP motor. I think I went a little over kill there. But since the 1/4 HP, 1/3 HP and the 1/2 HP motors are basically the exact case same size, I bought the 1/2 HP version knowing it will never have any problems. Also, I got the motor new cheaper then most places are selling their 1/4 HP versions. So some times you luck up. :smile:

Have you found good places for primers and powders now?

Not really, I have just been paying attention to our local stores, I hate to have to pay the surcharge to have them shipped to me, I was going to buy some powder the other day, and by time the shipping cost and sure charge was added, it was more than what I can purchase it locally for, but I am always on the lookout for better prices, hopefully some of this stuff will start coming down in price sometime soon, I have about 5000 rounds of .223 to load and over a 1000 rounds of .300 blackout I need to load!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not really, I have just been paying attention to our local stores, I hate to have to pay the surcharge to have them shipped to me, I was going to buy some powder the other day, and by time the shipping cost and sure charge was added, it was more than what I can purchase it locally for, but I am always on the lookout for better prices, hopefully some of this stuff will start coming down in price sometime soon, I have about 5000 rounds of .223 to load and over a 1000 rounds of .300 blackout I need to load!

Well if I find anything,I let you know. I load some belted magnums and at one time you could buy bulk "pulled powers" from large ammo companies that bought large caliber ammo from the government and disassembled it. And it was really good prices and compatible with some of the slowest burning powders and they even supplied the load data as well for it for the belted loads. But seems even that has dried up. But things may be changing now. We'll see.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well if I find anything,I let you know. I load some belted magnums and at one time you could buy bulk "pulled powers" from large ammo companies that bought large caliber ammo from the government and disassembled it. And it was really good prices and compatible with some of the slowest burning powders and they even supplied the load data as well for it for the belted loads. But seems even that has dried up. But things may be changing now. We'll see.

I have not seen any "pulled powder" for quite a while now, there are quite a few places selling "pulled bullets" these days, I just picked up a couple of hundred tracers the other day for less than a hundred bucks that will be fun to play with.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have not seen any "pulled powder" for quite a while now, there are quite a few places selling "pulled bullets" these days, I just picked up a couple of hundred tracers the other day for less than a hundred bucks that will be fun to play with.

Okay, I never loaded or shot any tracers. Can you see them in the daylight?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Okay, I never loaded or shot any tracers. Can you see them in the daylight?

Normally, but they are way more fun at night!

:eek:

:D

I did stumble across a place that seemed to have pretty good prices for powder compared to what I have seen over the last few months and their Hazmat fee was not to bad. They actually have various powders available in 8 pound jugs that I have not seen for quite a while.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Normally, but they are way more fun at night!

:eek:

:D

I did stumble across a place that seemed to have pretty good prices for powder compared to what I have seen over the last few months and their Hazmat fee was not to bad. They actually have various powders available in 8 pound jugs that I have not seen for quite a while.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

I use to buy from them years ago, but if I remember correctly now, they had an issue that I lived too close to them and while I could still get their reloading items, friends of mine that lived only a couple miles away from me could not. IDKW.