Boy, this cold weather is getting old!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Have not had a day above freezing for over a month now and most nights have averaged 10 below, to cold for to long, went to start the plow truck today and I think the glow plugs have finally given up the ghost! So now, one of my favorite things to do, change glow plugs in sub freezing temps, man oh man!

:facepalm:

alldodge

Staff member
Here I'm complaining about 10 above and you got the below part. Changing anything in those temps is a bummer. Least we don't live in Antarctica, the 10 below would be a heat wave.

Tnstratofam

Commander
We've had too many warm days this winter ( I own a small Heating/Air Conditioning company ). When it's mild like it has been here for much of the winter I have little to no real work. This weekend will be extra cold and we got 5 inches of snow to boot so I should get busy.

I have had a few no heat calls today.

The high today was 19 I think with the low tonight at 8. Next Friday/Saturday it is forecast to be 54 and 59.

Normal temps are in the mid to high 30's daytime and mid to low 20's nights. We've seen temps all over the range this winter.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Bummer about the light work Dave, but I enjoyed the 15-30deg above average temps we've had here too

Using all those off days to finish a bathroom? Jup's a waiting....

Tnstratofam

Commander
Bummer about the light work Dave, but I enjoyed the 15-30deg above average temps we've had here too

Using all those off days to finish a bathroom? Jup's a waiting....

Yes and yes. Work on the bathroom is almost finished. Hope to start on the Jup as a spring/summer project. However I need a little stretch of cold to keep the wallet full.:D

The warmer weather does help me keep the Admiral's to do list caught up.

And MT I so don't envy having to work on your plow in the snow and cold. It's bad enough trying to do my work out in the cold, but i hate mechanicing on vehichles in the snow. I feel for ya!:smow:

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Not been a bad year in TN at all, wouldnt mind if it warmed to the 60s and stayed there untill summer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
we just had our second day of winter. it got down to 37 last night

dont miss working on anything in the cold. I remember an engine swap in a non-heated garage at -20 because my buddy needed his car for work on Monday.

for your truck, I would throw a few 100 watt service lights under the hood to bring the temp up a bit, then try to start it

DeepCMark58A

Commander
It is funny that once you have an extended cold snap when it does warm up to say 20 degrees how pleasant that feels. I can deal with the subzero temps but when it gets windy it gets unbearable. Looking forward to not having to put on 5 layers when I go out to do evening chores up in the barn.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Been in the 40's and 50's down here for the high this week end ... Humidity around 80 yesterday with the wind blowing pretty hard .. Not to much fun setting tile outside in the shade .. Had to place a little space heater next to me yesterday to try and stay worm .... It's suppose to freeze tonight so a little concerned on setting any tile today ... Might just work on other stuff instead ...
I don't know how you all do it up north ...Hats off to you ! I'm a big wuss when it comes to cold weather ....

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Had to let the stove burn down and cool off so I could shovel the ashes out, dang it got down to 55 degrees in the house. Still 60 degrees warmer than it is outside but still. I will have to burn it hot but should get it back to 75 in here shortly.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Ugh, I hate you redneck -.-

Chilly today.

You're enjoying this Eastern Washington weather too huh!?!

I just swept a foot of snow off the boat and apparently chased the neighbor's cats out of my boat cause he's a turd and doesn't keep them indoors in the winter 👹

I am fine-tuning my tarp setup due to all of this though!

Side note... does anyone have a way of keeping cats out of the boat in the winter? I try to shy away from leathal means these days so keep that in mind 😀

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The cold weather came down here for a visit too. It was 32 yesterday morning with a high of 52, then this morning it was 31 with a light freeze. High got up to 45 this afternoon.

Nice! :encouragement: :dance:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Just spent a week between 0 and -17, got up to 2 yesterday, and 9 today.

Its gonna be warm and humid tomorrow, 19* above.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and we'll be close to 70 by thursday.

for the cats, dunno i popped in a couple bags of mothballs last winter and that didn't work.

jkust

Rear Admiral
We had a lot of -26F and -28F degree 'feels like' readings this past week with -9 or so air temps. When it gets to be around 0 and the wind dies down, it feels almost balmy.
Of course the further north in MN you go away from the heat island effect of the suburbs and that you are going further north, the temps drop even further. The reality is that you don't notice if you dress for it and providing you don't break down in your car.