Pellet gun

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I received a gift cert for christmas couldn't figure out anything I needed so I picked up a Gammo Tac Whisper pellet gun. WOW they are nothing like the old crossman pump pellet guns of my youth. 1250 fps and dang near blow thru 1/2" plywood, and it is quiet. What a new fun toy, look out yard pests.

Last edited by a moderator:

dwco5051

Commander
I have not owned a cat or about 5 years now. With my Gamo I would not want a cat to eliminate my targets. Between my youngest batch of grand daughters and me chipmunks are almost non existent on the property now. Check out the different pellets that are now available, some really cool ones are out there and a whole lot cheaper that 22 ammo.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just received my .22 air rifle from Fedex today, talk about a substantial weapon, this is a target model and will be every effective on the ground squirrels! :D

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
YES! The break barrel air rifles are great! I have "harvested" SEVENTY-TWO Squirrels! Those tree rats with bushy tails reproduce like rabbits.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh yea Deep, the newer pellet guns are very capable. They do make a little cracking noise because the speed the pellet exits the barrel. Pellets are quite accurate, but BB's, forget it. Being a spherical metal ball, they come out spinning and have no reason to hit any target. I have tons of squirrels on my property and the minute they give me any problems, they are history.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Fried squirrel, mash taters and gravy. Side of greens . Mmmmm....... i wish i had a squirrel problem.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Roof rabbit.

Nope, simply pain in the A** I love wildlife but these suckers are starting to drive me crazy!, my new pellet rifle is actually rated for hunting coyote's so that could be interesting, the pelts are bringing good money this year, mine is a .22 caliber and rated at about 1000 fps, so it is actually pretty powerful for what I need to do. I am looking forward to spring, I have never had a pellet rifle that came with a scope, laser and flashlight for sneaking up on them at night!

:D

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I saw the most evil rodent this morning a creature with no redeeming qualities, I saw him and he knows it is only a matter of time before he screws up and the cross hairs with be centered on his skull. The red squirrel possibly the most evil creature in the woods.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I saw the most evil rodent this morning a creature with no redeeming qualities, I saw him and he knows it is only a matter of time before he screws up and the cross hairs with be centered on his skull. The red squirrel possibly the most evil creature in the woods.
But tasty. I like them better than greys.

jb, only eat them fried....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Question. How far do the pellets go? I got the heathen his first bb gun this last fall, thought abot the pellet but the box made it sound like it wasretty much a 22 and our neighborsnfarmhouse is way too close for thst, and even a wayward bullet could get to the school. We do a lot of shotgun out the back door, plent safe for that.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I doubt the pellet would go far, sure the velocity is high out of the muzzle but the speed drops off pretty fast.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Question. How far do the pellets go? I got the heathen his first bb gun this last fall, thought abot the pellet but the box made it sound like it wasretty much a 22 and our neighborsnfarmhouse is way too close for thst, and even a wayward bullet could get to the school. We do a lot of shotgun out the back door, plent safe for that.
Treat the pellet rifles like a .22 for safety reasons. The pellets do travel quite a ways. At 1250fps, they can cover 4 football fields in less than a second.

I have the Gamo Whisper Silent Cat for pest control around here. Switched to that because I have Canadian snowbird neighbors and a few years back they got all weirded out when I dispatched a critter with a .22 and some CCI Stinger ammo. At that point I decided to go discreet.

Initially I switched to .22 SB ammo but it's accuracy sucked. Then I found the CCI .22Quiet ammo and that was very accurate but rarely in stock. Each of those types worked well but still sounded like a gunshot.

So I moved on to the pellet rifle. With light pellets the rifle still issues the supersonic crack since the pellets are going above the speed of sound when leaving the muzzle. The sound was nearly as loud as a regular .22 cartridge. At that point I moved up to a 7.4gr pellet which keeps the speed down to the subsonic range. Now when I shoot, all I get is a SPROING! sound as the rifle discharges. Can't be heard more than a dozen or so yards away.

That being said, I'm planning on changing to a 6.48gr pellets to get a little more speed but staying in the transonic range. Should give a little more oomph on impact than the 7.4gr pellets do while remaining quiet.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've shot a few red squirrels last year, never thought to eat them. they are pretty small, you would need a lot for a meal. I don't think I would shoot a coyote with a pellet gun though, it would have to be a perfect heat shot for a clean kill and even then no guarantees.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I've shot a few red squirrels last year, never thought to eat them. they are pretty small, you would need a lot for a meal. I don't think I would shoot a coyote with a pellet gun though, it would have to be a perfect heat shot for a clean kill and even then no guarantees.

Just depends on what type of projectile you are shooting and the type of gun you are shoot, we have a guy here locally that is a big hunter has taken over 35 species of African game and gets his Elk and Deer every single year, all of them with a pellet gun.