Anyone else find this at least unnerving....

southkogs

Staff member
I've driven the Challenger too - and while it's a HEAVY hog of a car, I do like 'em. Anything bodacious enough to have a G-meter on the dash is worth trying out.

Another that I'd like to get my hands on would be one of the old Magnum Wagons. Can't see outta' the stupid things, but they've got a cool factor that's off the charts. But that's really all pre-FIAT engineering. Chrysler had a run through the 90s and early 2000s where the engineers (despite Daimler's eventual management IMHO) did some really slick engineering and design. The Prowler is another example of some unique thinking. People didn't like it 'cuz it didn't have a V8, but still the car was a pretty noteworthy rig.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Old school.....

14027.o.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
Funny enough - back in the day I was a Plymouth Satellite fan.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Not with the interior cockpit lights on full bright.......Which is where they are most of the time at night!

Wow.

Not on any airline that I'd fly with. Who told you that?
I've never heard of aircraft that "feature " full lighting at night....that would be akin to flying blind.

SOP is dimmed white lighting or red lighting.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Wow.

Not on any airline that I'd fly with...............
You really cannot tell from the cabin where the cockpit lighting is set at.....

So if you have been on a flight at night, you have flown with an airline where the cockpit lighting was set to "bright". They all do it..

If the cockpit door is opened for any reason at night (pp break, food, etc) , the lighting is always turned way down so the cockpit crewmember can see through the "peep-hole" before opening it.

And,
Actually your best chance would be at night....strobes and Nav lights are much easier to see at night.

It's really the other way around. In total darkness, it's MUCH harder(nearly impossible) to judge how far away another aircraft is at night even if all the exterior lights and strobes are on.

Just saying.....

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
You really cannot tell from the cabin where the cockpit lighting is set at.....

So if you have been on a flight at night, you have flown with an airline where the cockpit lighting was set to "bright". They all do it..
I usually dislike "quoting" myself but I should rephrase the above.

I shouldn't say "They all do it" (that is, operate the cockpit flood lighting Full-Bright at cruise during darkness) ..............I will say, All the airline cockpit crewmembers I know, do it.

And I know a fair amount of them!

Last edited:

sam60

Captain
No Title

Back off subject....SWA drag race.

Attachments

• photo260144.JPG
    photo260144.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 0

sam60

Captain
My office window has a great view of the flights leaving MIA. It appears that the Janet airlines pilots have the most fun.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Tonnapah and area 51. I worked at Tonnapah for a little bit doing some radar testing. Unmarked 737s that flew in everyday with workers from Vegas.

sam60

Captain
Tonnapah and area 51. I worked at Tonnapah for a little bit doing some radar testing. Unmarked 737s that flew in everyday with workers from Vegas.

Yeah, White with a red stripe. The Government Air pilots seem to have a bit of fun with climbing and banking....if those are terms pilots use.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, White with a red stripe. The Government Air pilots seem to have a bit of fun with climbing and banking....if those are terms pilots use.

Yeah I see those unmarked airplanes all the time when I'm in LAS. In all the years that I flew the C-141, I never made it out to Area51. (and if I did, I wouldn't be able to tell anyone anyway!!)

sam60

Captain
Yeah I see those unmarked airplanes all the time when I'm in LAS. In all the years that I flew the C-141, I never made it out to Area51. (and if I did, I wouldn't be able to tell anyone anyway!!)

^^ Sorry, I called LAS MIA. No intent to confuse McCarran with Miami. It's fun to observe their takeoffs. I have little knowledge of how to fly but I'm a big fan of a pilot's skills.